First cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't used much yet, probably around a half cord mostly silver maple and poplar. Garage will be getting filled with a mix of silver maple, ash and oak this weekend. It's time to start burning some better wood than the silver maple. :)

My last propane fill was in March and I'm still at 50% but I plan to give them a call next week to top it off in hopes of avoiding higher prices come the colder months.

wood spliter said:
Just finished my first cord of the season. Oil man is not happy but I am. What have you guys burnt so far?

wood spliter it looks like by the end of next week or around the 15 of December we will have burned (edit) just over one cord of wood that includes uglies and chunks with some nice cherry early on.

zap

wood spliter said:
Just finished my first cord of the season. Oil man is not happy but I am. What have you guys burnt so far?

Less than 1/2 cord, of various rejects and poo. No rush to get into any variety of good stuff. Enjoy.

Just under 2 cords. Starting to use my 2nd stove more, which means I use a bit more wood. I figure around 1/4cord a week when it is really cold. 2500sqft 1890's house, high ceiling with using wood as my only heat source.

I have burned maybe 3/4 of a cord and ended up selling 1/2 cord. Burned mostly maple first, now burning cherry and mixing in some Oak. Saving the Locust for when it gets colder. Next year everything will be ready to go (Hickory, Beech, tons of Oak). Gas bill was only $28 last month but will be going up. My stove is just not big enough to heat my whole house.

I've gone through 3 cord already. Mostly softwood - about 75% fir and poplar.

Started in the middle of Sept., which is almost 2 weeks early for us. Gone through a little more than 2/3 cord. I hope for less usage this year, but I had almost 7 cord ready in the shed before I started, and we use just about 4 2/3 cord every year.

We burned about a half a cord so far. The new insert just nibbles on dry wood for 7-9 hours a load. 1400+sq.ft. Levitt ranch stays toasty warm - its a little hard to stay awake on the couch watching T.V. at night! :) Bring on the REAL cold!!!!

I still havent burned 1/2 cord, I have mostly oak and some hickory if that matters, maybe since its all hardwood Im using less.

Maybe half a cord or so of red and white oak.

Probably a cord since October second but hard to measure as none of it was pretty.

Probably 1/2 cord of maple/black walnut/some locust, some hickory. Hickory and locust overnight last night. Still 70 degrees at 630a and blowing warm air. 34 deg outside.

Just a SWAG, probably 1/3 of a cord.

Between half and 3/4 a cord is a guess. And I was gone for a week... Its 13 degrees this morning and the fire is stoked!!!

About 3/4 of a cord here, Randy

About a cord, started with some cottonwood, red cedar, and red maple. Getting into the oak chunks now.

Atleast 2 cords so far.

Probably about 2/3 of a cord, been separating and pulling out as much soft wood as I can get amongst the edges of my racks, as if I dont handle each split enough, anyway I am absolutly amazed at how light the cedar woods is seasoned, light as a feather yet was seemingly dense and heavy when I split it, glad I didnt get a lot :p

wood spliter said:

I'm going to guess since you are in NY that you are talking about a 'face cord' which is generally about 1/3 of a 128cuft cord, right?

I've burned about 1/2 cord (64 cu ft approx) so far this year. More than half of that being soft wood (eastern pine and spruce(?)). The rest mostly some sort of poplar and misc 'unknown' wood and chunks of everything I cut over the summer (hardwoods included) that were in the chunks bins.

Been burning more as the wife seems to like the house warmer this year and she is home more. Can't argue with that - last year she complained when it hit 70, this year she is happy, go figure. She also has gotten comfortable feeding the stove so that is a combination that is bad for wood consumption all in all.

Slow1 said:
Been burning more as the wife seems to like the house warmer this year and she is home more. Can't argue with that - last year she complained when it hit 70, this year she is happy, go figure. She also has gotten comfortable feeding the stove so that is a combination that is bad for wood consumption all in all.

My wife used to work from home and kept the house really warm. This years she's back in an office environment so I expect I'll save a cord or more this year. Of course the heat will probably run more during the day so I'll be wishing she was burning that extra cord that cost me nothing instead of propane. :)

Only three burns. Weather has been fairly warm. Also, at this point, I don't have enough wood set by to have round the clock burning. I save what I have for when family comes over, so they can enjoy the fire. In future years, I hope to have a better wood pile.

Slow1 said:
wood spliter said:

I'm going to guess since you are in NY that you are talking about a 'face cord' which is generally about 1/3 of a 128cuft cord, right?

I've burned about 1/2 cord (64 cu ft approx) so far this year. More than half of that being soft wood (eastern pine and spruce(?)). The rest mostly some sort of poplar and misc 'unknown' wood and chunks of everything I cut over the summer (hardwoods included) that were in the chunks bins.

Not face cords just regular cords. And I want to thank you guys that have burned at least a cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.