First day tending the new stove myself.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMMA RAY

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2011
PA.
It's my first day tending the 13 NC myself. I am a little nervous. Not sure how much wood to put in. I have been lurking on this site for a long time but apprehensive about posting. I have searched the forums for previous posts about tips operating the 13. I have followed all the tips. So far so good but it is a learning curve. I can't believe the difference between the 12 and the 13. The difference in heat is amazing. I guess it will take time to feel confident again......

GAMMA RAY said:
It's my first day tending the 13 NC myself. I am a little nervous. Not sure how much wood to put in. I have been lurking on this site for a long time but apprehensive about posting. I have searched the forums for previous posts about tips operating the 13. I have followed all the tips. So far so good but it is a learning curve. I can't believe the difference between the 12 and the 13. The difference in heat is amazing. I guess it will take time to feel confident again......

Welcome aboard congrats on the new stove and any questions please ask as there are quite a few NC-13 owners here..

Ray

Thanks Ray. I need all the support I can get. I was afraid to even open the door of the old stove in the beginning, I have come so far so fast. If anyone told me last year that I would be tending a wood stove this year I would say noooooo wayyyyyy! I keep it goin for the husband since its in the mancave. But now I reap the benefits because the rest of the house is warmer now and the furnace does not kick on so much!!!!! It's a joke at my job. The other girls think it is funny that I can operate a wood stove. They think I'm a pris, but I carry more wood in the house than the husband and my arms are gettin pretty strong and I can kick their butts!!!

GAMMA RAY said:
Thanks Ray. I need all the support I can get. I was afraid to even open the door of the old stove in the beginning, I have come so far so fast. If anyone told me last year that I would be tending a wood stove this year I would say noooooo wayyyyyy! I keep it goin for the husband since its in the mancave. But now I reap the benefits because the rest of the house is warmer now and the furnace does not kick on so much!!!!! It's a joke at my job. The other girls think it is funny that I can operate a wood stove. They think I'm a pris, but I carry more wood in the house than the husband and my arms are gettin pretty strong and I can kick their butts!!!

Good for you! There is nothing wrong with hauling wood I do it all the time! We try to heat this house 24/7 with the woodstove and can usually do it no problem unless it drops below zero.. The bottom line is if you enjoy hauling and burning wood then you're just fine and you are not alone.. Maybe you need to build a womancave to keep things on an even keel? Personally I am impressed that you take an active interest in keeping the home warm.. It's a win-win situation.. Burn on! :)

Ray

Actually the womancave is right next the mancave and it's a sunroom thats all pier one decor and I get the heat from the stove right through it so its a win-win situation. Actually, I am going to follow Dennis's wife and clean/check the flue next time. We have been following Dennis's recommendations to check the flue once a month since we are new burners. Luckily it's been clean-very minor powder. But I think I'll get on that roof and check/clean the sucker in a month.

Well i am glad you have actually taken an interest in the wood stove. I run into plenty of women who don't want to get their pretty little hands dirty or break a nail, which was not how i was raised. The wife leaves it to me to do the wood and run the stoves but sometimes she has no choice. Saturday I was gone all day until 11PM - tended the stoves and went to bed. In the morning the wife was so pleased with herself for keeping the house so warm all day. Then I realized that she filled the wood rack downstairs [3 days worth] and the wood box upstairs [3 days worth] and that I did not have to do my usual wood duties on Sunday. You would be surprised how much we actually appreciate things like this...

hope things go well. sounds like we are going to have some nasty weather here (I'm in NEPA too) tue / wed.

Best of luck, leave a post here if you have any concerns at all. I usually doesn't take long for a response with these folks.

pen

Rock on Gamma Ray !!

Welcome to Dah Sistahood ;-P

Hey Pen, where in nepa are you from? I saw in your posts your location and was wondering if you are near Dallas??

GAMMA RAY said:
Hey Pen, where in nepa are you from? I saw in your posts your location and was wondering if you are near Dallas??

North, just over the border from Binghamton NY.

Enjoy the snow tomorrow and Wed.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.