first electric bill with pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capecod

Feb 22, 2008
"on Cape"
WOW! Newbie here ...just got this month's bill and it is $100 higher using the pellet stove! I never expected that! I have it on 24/7, but I didn't expect 100 more! Is this normal?
thanks in advance

I've never had a $100 electric bill, even in the summer with AC! I have gas hot water and dryer. Highest in the summer was about $90.

capecod said:
WOW! Newbie here ...just got this month's bill and it is $100 higher using the pellet stove! I never expected that! I have it on 24/7, but I didn't expect 100 more! Is this normal?
thanks in advance

Just a thought. is that an estimated every other month bill?

You're saying your electric bill is $100 over what it
usually costs you this time of year?

Even when I run the stove 24/7 in a month and I mean 24/7 only
shutting down for a 24 hour period to clean once a month,
my bill is about $30 more than without the stove.

You might be right about the neighbor... Only kidding. just got off the phone with a customer service person from the electric co. They made a mistake on my electric bill and over charged me. I actually will end up paying less because I used less electricity. WHEW!
Merry Christmas to all, except my electric company!
and thanks for the quick responses!
ps i love my harman p68 !

capecod, I'm waiting for our bill to come in. Should be interesting. We installed a couple of ceiling fans to move the warm air around the house. We only use them when it's extremely cold out and need to move the heat to second floor. Using them during summer did not increase our elec. bill significantly, so any increase reflected in our next bill will represent stove use. I'm nervous, now that you said yours is that much higher!
Did you compare kilowatt hours used last year to this year? And are you running any additional fans to move the air through your house?

capecod said:
You might be right about the neighbor... Only kidding. just got off the phone with a customer service person from the electric co. They made a mistake on my electric bill and over charged me. I actually will end up paying less because I used less electricity. WHEW!
My electric bill was slightly less (KWHR`s used) than last year this time but I cannot credit it to anything in particular but it`s still nice to know that my Harman P 38 isn`t creating any unusual costs in my electric bill other than what I was accustomed to prior to having the stove.

capecod said:
just got off the phone with a customer service person from the electric co. They made a mistake on my electric bill and over charged me. I actually will end up paying less because I used less electricity. WHEW!

Glad to hear it! Merry Christmas to you and a big
wave to ya from the South Shore.
waving.gif

I don't know if you are talking $100 more from last month before you started running your pellet stove or if it is $100 more than last years November/December bill? Let's not forget it is costing more per kilowatt now. Obviously depending where you live and what they charge for electricity. You might want to look at what you were running for appliances and any other device that uses electricity. I really doubt if that stove is the reason your bill is higher. I know alot of people locally will have an electric bill that is lower due to the ice storm.

Deffy said:
....and unplug stuff when you arent using it. things use power when they are off. those 1 - 5 watt items add up!. change your lightbulbs to fluorescents. 60 watts to 15 add up.......
I agree Deffy. I have installed as many compact flourescent bulbs in my house as I can, and it lowered my electric bill. I even found a place that sells compact flourescent 3-WAY bulbs!

Looking forward to seeing my next electric bill since I started using the pellet stove full time last month.

For those with CB1200i it draws 432 watts on start up and once it is up and running on medium it is drawing a mear 89 watts. I got bulbs in the house that draw more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.