First Energy Bill with Stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jutt77

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2010
Bailey, Colorado
The moment I was waiting for...my first monthly power bill with the wood stove (installed around the end of Dec) and good news it is! Compared to last year's bill for this month, we saved almost $120! We have a natural gas furnace BTW.

Before stove:
Ave temp in January 2010: 27 degrees
Therms Used: 156

After stove:
Ave temp in January 2011: 31 degrees
Therms Used: 32

We have a gas range which sees a lot of use and a gas water heater. For context, we used around 20 therms in MAY last year!

Factoring in the tax credit, the stove will pay for itself in around 12-15 months of use (spread out over 2 years)...awesome! I love this thing!

When I started heating with wood I got rid of the gas. No energy bill at all. I thought that was the goal, not to reduce but to rid. and be off the grid.

Jimbob said:
Of course, that $120 is assuming the wood cost you nothing.
Correct, free wood delivered by several tree services.

wkpoor said:
When I started heating with wood I got rid of the gas. No energy bill at all. I thought that was the goal, not to reduce but to rid. and be off the grid.
Gas range and gas water heater nixes that idea...nice thought though

My electric bill for December was $365 and that was for 28 days. Installed my Magnolia around the 18th of January and been burning 24/7. Just got electric bill for January and it was for $281, not to mention it was for 33 days. Looks to me like I saved $80 over 2 weeks and there was an extra 5 days on my bill this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.