first ever, ever itsy bitsy scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and the next step in the first scrounge........home depot for a sweet 2kg splitter,wanted a fiskars but not in stock this timeof year, so had to settle for a hd special, sure she will split just fine thougfh............going out to swing after the rain...........

you will never drive through town the same way again - head on a swivel - yearning for that next scrounge........admiring other's wood, veering suddenly to load some rounds left by utility crews etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and now the wood shed, i must say i am very carpentry challenged, but here is the beginning stages, going to start with a cord and then add another, and eventually a roof......i tourqed the metal supports trying to upright it myself, kinfdd of like the amish raising a barn, so i had to add some supports

Attachments

• 0519111606[1].jpg
    0519111606[1].jpg
    180 KB · Views: 166
to answer the forthcoming question, rack measures 12x8, wich i figure with 16 inch average splits should fit just a bout a cord

fm said:
to answer the forthcoming question, rack measures 12x8, wich i figure with 16 inch average splits should fit just a bout a cord
It's good to have the stability of the wall there to lean against, but being so close to the house will cut down on ventilation around the wood which will increase drying time...further away from the house would be best. I'm single row stacking and the last stacks I stacked were 4'8" tall above it's base...I'm a little uneasy about that extra 8". Going 8' tall I think that you're gonna have to do some excellent stacking and bracing...I wouldn't want to be next to the stack if/when it falls. :bug:

Ed

fm said:
i appreciate your concern........that is why i make my wife stack!!!!!!

Lol.
I used those same brackets to make my first quick & simple racks a couple years ago. They are still in service. One thing I learned going about 7' high is the verticals will spread out a lot with the weight. I was affraid they would give out, so added braces across the top & they look much nicer now. 2x2's will do it as there is no load on them, but I used 2x4's so I can add roofs in fall. A few little metal flat and corner brackets (<$1 each) & some nails is all you need to attach them.
I've had some leaners needing attention, but no crushed wives yet.

i actually have another set of brackets, i plan on putting them 4 feet in front and then putting 2x4 braces atttacking them on the bottom and than adding a floor and using 2x6 on the sides, then a roof down the road. the brackets definately make for a nice starting point, and i believe i am going to limit stacks to 6ft, which will leave me approx 6x6x10 which should hold 2 plus cords witht the remainder stored in the garage. 3 cords for the season is good for me

fm said:
i appreciate your concern........that is why i make my wife stack!!!!!!

The opposite here. I won't let my wife stack!

On the height, you are liable to find out why people usually do not stack wood that high. It will be too unstable. I stack wood 4 1/2' high in the spring and by fall it is down to 4' or thereabouts. I have yet to have to restack a pile of wood and hate the thought of it. Stay with 4' high and you will be much better off.

fm said:
i actually have another set of brackets, i plan on putting them 4 feet in front and then putting 2x4 braces atttacking them on the bottom and than adding a floor and using 2x6 on the sides, then a roof down the road. the brackets definately make for a nice starting point, and i believe i am going to limit stacks to 6ft, which will leave me approx 6x6x10 which should hold 2 plus cords witht the remainder stored in the garage. 3 cords for the season is good for me

Why would you want a floor? Would it not be better to just stack on what you have? The idea is to get air circulation but a floor would close that off.

Backwoods Savage said:
fm said:

Why would you want a floor? Would it not be better to just stack on what you have? The idea is to get air circulation but a floor would close that off.

I was going to say th same thing, I did something similar, I just added more 2 x 4's in between the horizontal 2 x 4's to make the bottom more stable. I find 5' is plenty high, I thought I could go higher but thats my limit.

Llamaman said:
you will never drive through town the same way again - head on a swivel - yearning for that next scrounge........admiring other's wood, veering suddenly to load some rounds left by utility crews etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I laughed out loud at this because it is SO true. The wife and I were watching the evening news on
TV and the report was about some kid that had his bike stolen. The only thing I noticed was a huge
birch tree in the front yard that looked like it should come down soon! I just wished that they would
have moved the crying kid over a foot or 2 so I could see the diameter of the tree at the bottom!

Status
Not open for further replies.