First few months with my XXV!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbullguy

Jul 29, 2008
Southern, NH
We are well into our heating season and we are enjoying the XXV for our heating. The only time the money pit in the basements fires up is for hot water, we are still on the first fill up of oil and will most likely make it through the winter on the same fill up!!!!

The XXV was been great, very little noise, pretty easy to clean. I wish the ash pan was two inches wider as some of the fly ash falls to the sides away from the ash pan and builds a nice ash mountain that needs to be shop vac out.

We started the season burning pellets from Blue Seal. Not the best by any means, but they work for the mild days. We also have NEWP(brown bag with red writing) and they burn nice with average amount of ash. The best pellet so far this year is the "green supreme". We picked up a ton last week and noticed a huge difference right away. Very little ash, burn very hot. We have one of those galiheo water thermometers in the room the XXV is in. With the blue seal pellets it would only drop the first ball, the NEWP would drop three balls and the Green Supremes drop 4-5 balls.

Our settings are Auto, 75 degrees, fan speed almost to high, 3.5 on feed rate and black switch to high. Our upstairs is at 68 degrees with the green supreme pellets where the other two kept it 65.

Over all very happy with the stove. Oil has come down to 2.29 a gallon, but we really like the heat from the wood pellet stove. Not really saving as much as we planned on when oil was 4.59 in the summer, but very happy we made the choice to buy the Harmon XXV.

As for pellets, The Green Supreme's are the best so far in our stove. They are made by NEWP, but for some reason burn hotter and cleaner then the brown bag NEWP. I have played around with the setting on the stove, but the heat from the Green Supreme is by far better.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and we wish you a Happy New Year.

This site has been awesome.................

Glad to hear you are happy with your XXV. I am very pleased with mine as well.

I have burned a few different brands of pellets in the past couple of winters
and the Green Supreme are my favorite.

we are very happy with ours as well. house is warmer then last year overall and we just saved another 60 bucks this month on electric vs last year and it was even colder by 2 degrees outside. and we add about 120 or so to that cost with not using any propane and this puppy will be paying itself off pretty quickly!

We're also very happy with our XXV. Installed in June, started it up in October & have really cut down on the oil usage! Main living area is warmer, bedrooms at the other end of the house are cooler & that's fine with us. We initially had a lot of squeaking from the auger, but it stopped by itself. No idea what caused it, but I'm not having to scrape it out every day like I was earlier in the year (maybe the stove is burning longer, not on/off as much) and the auger is no longer making these horrible squeals. We're very happy with our stove. It's funny how attached to get to this form of heating. When we've gone away for the weekend we turn the stove off. We can't wait to turn it back on as soon as we walk in the door!

Status
Not open for further replies.