First Fire - Caddy Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood1Dennis

Burning Hunk
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern Wisconsin
It is the first season in our new home. The weather has been freakishly warm this autumn, but a week ago it was a frosty Saturday morning. The house was cool, so I decided it was time to christen the new Caddy wood furnace in our basement.

The moment I have been planning for a long time is finally here! There are lots of construction scraps for kindling, the firewood tested at about 16% moisture so everything looked good. Got the stove loaded & the fire started. A bit later the fire is burning, the secondary burners are kicking in, the fan turns on, everything is looking great. Upstairs there is that smell you expect any time a furnace is lit for the first time, is that a bit of haze in the air..........
And then the smoke detectors go off. All of them in the house (they are all tied together). Can't turn them off. Ear splitting alarms. 'Fire' 'Fire' they tell us. Ugg! Open all the windows, open the doors, turn on the fans, the dogs have their paws over their ears...... you get the picture!

There is a line in the furnace manual "It is normal that smoke and odours emanate from the unit when you first light it. It is recommended to burn it at high rate and ventilate the building until the odours disappear." They mean it! I put some more wood in, I only want to do this once!

I'm expecting a lot less excitement when it gets cold enough to fire the furnace again. I know it is coming, this is Wisconsin after all. This time I'm ready :)

That's why I fired my furnace in the back yard before I put it in the house. But your past that now.

Dennis, where in WI are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.