First fire in CB 6048

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got everything piped up, tested, and filled with water today. Put a fire in it and everything works great, but I do have one concern. I used to do a lot of hydronic and mostly industrial boiler work back in the day and my experience with smaller circs was mostly B&G;units. What I'm saying is that I don't have much experience with compact circulators as they were just coming onto the market. I have a Taco 007 at my boiler and after about 25-30 min or operation, the motor end of the 007 was literally to hot to touch while the water was just 100 degrees. Is this normal for these circs?

The end of the circulator will get hot as the heat from the water will transfer to the end. Metal will transfer heat allot more than the pex line. If its moving water and you only hear a small hum when its on - its working properly

Mine did the same exact thing when I ran it at first. My plumber advised me to shut it down for a short while then start it up again in case there was air in it that had settled into the circulator. When I started it back up it heated but nowhere near as hot as before.....

sdrobertson said:
The end of the circulator will get hot as the heat from the water will transfer to the end. Metal will transfer heat allot more than the pex line. If its moving water and you only hear a small hum when its on - its working properly

Reread my post, the water was only about 100 degrees when I noticed it. The water is circulating just fine with NO air, it's just the temp of the motor that's got me bothered.

I think you might have an airlock somewhere. Are you sure the water is moving? I'm only basing this on my own experience, which is that a Taco 007 will get pretty hot when it's running and the water isn't moving.

nope no airlock, heats just fine. So you are saying it ain't normal to run this hot?

I've got one going now that's circulating 175-degree water and it's too hot to touch, but that's to be expected. I don't think a 007 pumping 100-degree water should be too hot to touch. The heat would have to be coming from the bearings or the motor, and you'd think that the water would dissipate it. Is that the only pump on your system? If so, it's probably a little small for an OWB, considering how far you're pumping it.

Too hot to touch is over 145-150 deg. F. Small motor windings often run between 160 and 180 degrees. I work closely with A.O.Smith when choosing a motor for our commercial heating equipment and as long at the temps are 180 and below we feel pretty good about the motor. When I would get worried is when it smells hot, that means you are melting off the lacquer (sp) off the windings. Smelling hot after the initial break-in period for the motor would mean winding temps over 225 deg. F.

Rich

I am running an 009 for my E-Classic with 100 feet of thermopex to the house. It is not too hot to touch.

Lust checked the temps, indicated in water side is 185. Actual via Raytek, 184 at pump volute and 208 at the motor housing. Whaddaya think?

That's spot on for me..... motor temps seem to be about 20F higher than water temps across the board.........

I appreciate the input everyone, it's still running almost silent at the same temp, so I guess I'll just see what it does and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.