First fire in my first stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinlp

Aug 9, 2006
Hyde Park, NY
Last night, I fired up our first wood stove for the very first time. Been itching to fire it up since the stove was inspected on Friday. Temp was about 65F outside. I opened up the windows and sliding glass door to cool off the place so as to not heat us out too bad.

I made a kindling fire and tossed on a notched cut piece that was cut from a tree last spring.

When I opened the door an inch or so, The flames absolutely raced, sounding like air rushing up the chimney. Is this a sign of a really good draft? They acted normal burning steadily but yet calm with the door closed.

I didn’t try screwing with the primary air supply at all. I left it full open. That'll be for the next time. No smoke spillage when opening the door which I did multiple times as I was using lots of kindling pieces.

Even though it was dark, I checked the chimney Using the flashlight, I could barely tell it in use. For a small kindling fire. The stove kicked off a good amount of heat for a small, short fire.

Everything was turned to ash. Very amazed by this. I am used to making fires in the firepit and having the ends of sticks and logs not burn when they are not in the center of the fire.

Attachments

• aDCP_2465.JPG
    aDCP_2465.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 607
  • aDCP_2468.JPG
    aDCP_2468.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 559
Here is the fire in progress and with the flash on. Is the blackening of the fire brick normal?

Attachments

• aDCP_2473lightened.JPG
    aDCP_2473lightened.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 561
  • aDCP_2474.JPG
    aDCP_2474.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 582
Dat's da way it works. Sounds like you have good draft with that install.

BTW: It was 96 degrees in August when mine was installed. Burned great. Sweated profusely and smiled like the Cheshire Cat.

BTW: When does your stove get out of jail?

We have a ceiling fan in the vaulted ceiling about 10 feet out from the stove. The air coming down from the fan felt like standing in front of a space heater. I am very impressed by heat kicked off for such a small fire. It burned for about two hours.

BrotherBart said:
Dat's da way it works. Sounds like you have good draft with that install.

BTW: It was 96 degrees in August when mine was installed. Burned great. Sweated profusely and smiled like the Cheshire Cat.

I didn't notice any smell. Our installer said it would stink a decent amount the first couple times while the paint cures. Could it been that it wasn't hot enough?

Yeah. The first couple of times you kick it up to five or six hundred degrees it will let you know it is there. Just the stuff in the paint curing.

[quote author="BrotherBart" date="1156317818"]Dat's da way it works. Sounds like you have good draft with that install.

BTW: When does your stove get out of jail?[/quote]

When we don't have to worry about the eight month old playing with the fire.... Correction, if she takes after me, that'll be never. :) So i guess, when she knows how to avoid getting hurt.

Mike Wilson said:
Dude, what's the deal with those holes in the pipes in the top of your stove. Have you discussed that problem with your dealer??? Maybe they can replace them with solid pipes, to better support the top of the stove.

-- Mike

:)

evil, pure evil.

Great looking stove, beautiful pad ! :)

Kevin, be careful you don't stumble into your stove while going through that gate. That is a great safety idea for little ones, just remember while loading your stove you'll have a log or two in your hands with a limited area to move around in while loading.

I am so clumsy I stumbled on my rugs in front of my stove and actually caught myself on the front of mine, thank goodness it is a double top stove and not as hot as some get.......or I would have left my finger prints on the top of my stove. :gulp:

Everything really looks great, and it sounds like it's going to draw very well.

Robbie

Mike Wilson said:
MMMMM a Newbie !!! :coolgrin:
Alright mike ......... this is NOT the post your mug thread ......................Ah .
Cool looking stove , its the fire time of year for some . It would be sure hard NOT to start a fire in a new stove even when its 90° out side . We put ours in about Oct. so we needed the heat so when we had the break in fire ...........wow it burned your eyes . We burned the stove for about 3 weeks and we had a cold spell so we cranked er up higher and wouldnt you know it that new stove smell came back because of the higher heat . Burning eyes again . So Kevin ........ When are we "ALL" coming over to sit around your fire ?

Kevin, I would HIGHLY recommend that you have a few progressively larger fires in that new stove while you can still throw the doors and windows open. The new stove smell can get strong. That way when you need to button the house up nice and tight and WORK that stove, you can sit back and enjoy it without using that old gas mask from your Y2K bunker. Very nice looking stove and install. Your gonna love it. :)

***OFF TOPIC***

Hey RooSpike - I didn't realize that you were a member of this site also. Good to see ya man :coolsmile:

Jags said:
***OFF TOPIC***

Hey RooSpike - I didn't realize that you were a member of this site also. Good to see ya man :coolsmile:
Hi Jags . I have about 5 i run around on but this this forum i seem to give the hardest time on with open opinions , Ha. :coolsmile:.

Status
Not open for further replies.