First Fire!!! New Napoleon 1400p up and running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenng

Nov 9, 2006
For a long time I have wanted a woodstove in my house. Several months ago I came to hearth.com asking questions. I aquired my familes old Dutchwest stove from my childhood home. I had intended to install that stove. But after many questions and replies from members it was decided that I should install somthing modern. And I did.

Here on the "forum" I learned how to do it right. whats a good install whats a bad install etc. Elki, MountainStoveGuy...and many others shared good info and steered me in the right dirrection.( Not to mention helping me spend a lot of $$$$$$) er Thanks

My new stove has been running for 3 days. Its working beautifully.

New car smell Good.....New stove smell Bad.....Luckily the smell has subsided and I`m enjoying the warmth in a T-shirt and shorts and having a cold one. I earned it.

I had to install a tankless hot water heater system that directly vents to the outside without a chimney. I also have a relativly new hi-efficiancy gas furnace that vents outside too. Then I had to reline the chimney with a stainless flue-liner for the wood stove. Saftey is my #1 concern, I spent a ton of $$$ before my house was even suitable for a wood stove. Saving money at the exspense of saftey is something I could not do even though I am on a tight budget. Well my stove has been running for 3 days and Its nice and warm and wonderful. And worth all the trouble I went through to do it right. I`m very happy with it. Its a Napoleon 1400p, 30 feet of Homesaver UltraPro 316 stainless flue liner. It draws great , lights easy and I can`t stop smiling.

Glenn

Attachments

• napoleon1400p012.jpg
    napoleon1400p012.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 723
All I have left to do is pretty up the stove area. Its in our semi-finished basement. More pictures will come in the near future when I "pimp my basement"

GG

Congrats,
Is that 2 pcs of 1"x4" shimming the side up under the pedestal? I understand its prolly temp, but you might want to use stone, metal or a few ceramic tiles.

Its metal shelving parts that are painted fake wood. You have a good eye.

The wall and floor are concrete and I have good clearance around and above the stove.

Saturday I will be pouring a concrete pedesistal to level the stove. I plan to repaint the basement floor and trim the pedistal with tile.

Thanks for noticing.

GG

glenng said:

The wall and floor are concrete and I have good clearance around and above the stove.

Saturday I will be pouring a concrete pedesistal to level the stove. I plan to repaint the basement floor and trim the pedistal with tile.

Thanks for noticing.

GG

Was just wondering. The fake wood is very convincing:)
Congrats again, sounds like you have a well thought out plan.

I have the same stove. Love it. Put in last fall. I've got to improve the existing flue, length specifically, as I know the draw needs to be better, but when it gets 'a going, it blasts, and loaded correctly, it will maintain heat for up to 8-10 hours depending on the outside temp. When below zero, I can go 5-6 hours and keep the joint warm. Happy as a clam too as a tree service is coursing through the area and I was able to have them leave piles of excellent wood. So am harvesting to my heart's content without having to drive a hour, tho I ave recently come into stands of pinon ready to be harvested that is the berries.

Congrats on your stove. Looks cool, er, warm.

Here's a pic looking down at an angle of some oak or black locust (can't remember which) on top of a bed of coals... toasty.

http://pix.giph.com/d/10155-4/IMG21715.jpg

glenng said:
For a long time I have wanted a woodstove in my house. Several months ago I came to hearth.com asking questions. I aquired my familes old Dutchwest stove from my childhood home. I had intended to install that stove. But after many questions and replies from members it was decided that I should install somthing modern. And I did.

Here on the "forum" I learned how to do it right. whats a good install whats a bad install etc. Elki, MountainStoveGuy...and many others shared good info and steered me in the right dirrection.( Not to mention helping me spend a lot of $$$$$$) er Thanks

My new stove has been running for 3 days. Its working beautifully.

New car smell Good.....New stove smell Bad.....Luckily the smell has subsided and I`m enjoying the warmth in a T-shirt and shorts and having a cold one. I earned it.

I had to install a tankless hot water heater system that directly vents to the outside without a chimney. I also have a relativly new hi-efficiancy gas furnace that vents outside too. Then I had to reline the chimney with a stainless flue-liner for the wood stove. Saftey is my #1 concern, I spent a ton of $$$ before my house was even suitable for a wood stove. Saving money at the exspense of saftey is something I could not do even though I am on a tight budget. Well my stove has been running for 3 days and Its nice and warm and wonderful. And worth all the trouble I went through to do it right. I`m very happy with it. Its a Napoleon 1400p, 30 feet of Homesaver UltraPro 316 stainless flue liner. It draws great , lights easy and I can`t stop smiling.

Glenn

Looking good. Welcome to the world of pyros!

Excellent Glenn. Good job. I like Napoleons. They are like the east coast PE's.

We all hope to hear reports on this stove. Burn times, stove top temps, etc.

Hello all,

I'm a noob here, well posting anyway. I 'm spending my first winter with a Napoleon 1400 leg model. I have a 1300 sf. open floor plan house smack in the middle of cornfield county Illinois. It's 5 below outside as I type this, 75 inside. I rely solely on the little Napoleon, and it does the job wonderfully. I am fortunate to have 15 acres of woods surrounding me (red oak, shagbark hickory, green ash, wild cherry). Anyway, the napoleon does a great job. It's unbelievable how clean that big windows stays...I read about people having to scrape the crap off their glass with a razor-blade...not at all necessary with the 1400. I'm surprised it isn't more popular with folks, especially at its price point.

Attachments

• Little house 048 (Small).jpg
    Little house 048 (Small).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 580
30cal said:
Hello all,

I'm a noob here, well posting anyway. I 'm spending my first winter with a Napoleon 1400 leg model. I have a 1300 sf. open floor plan house smack in the middle of cornfield county Illinois. It's 5 below outside as I type this, 75 inside. I rely solely on the little Napoleon, and it does the job wonderfully. I am fortunate to have 15 acres of woods surrounding me (red oak, shagbark hickory, green ash, wild cherry). Anyway, the napoleon does a great job. It's unbelievable how clean that big windows stays...I read about people having to scrape the crap off their glass with a razor-blade...not at all necessary with the 1400. I'm surprised it isn't more popular with folks, especially at its price point.

Welcome to the forum. Beautiful fire shot.

BeGreen said:
Excellent Glenn. Good job. I like Napoleons. They are like the east coast PE's.

We all hope to hear reports on this stove. Burn times, stove top temps, etc.

I just picked up a stack thermometer today. After a few hours of playing with the stove reloading it and watching the temps to see how the stove reacts, I can finally comment.

My wood supply is 90% silver maple. Not the best stuff but not to bad either. I would like it more if it had dried just a couple months longer. Next year will be better. 10% is Beech its very seasoned and it burns cleaner and hoter than the Silver Maple.

Once the stove has a good fire going I can choke it down to about 20% and it will maintain a stack temp of about 400f and stay there until the wood burns down. Then I reload with 2 splits and the temp goes back to 400f and stays there. Its pretty simple. I don`t mess with the damper during reloading , I just open the door slowly and put in the new wood. My stove/chimney draft is excellent and I have had no smoke or ash escape during reloads. The highest temp I could get was 600f and that was filling the stove with kindling opening the draft to full while cracking the door open a smidge to induce a super draft(pyromaniac mode :snake: ). When I closed the door the stack temp went down to 500f and when I choked the draft control back down to 20% it maintained 400f again. I`m a epa stove newbie but I find it very easy to operate. With the new thermometer, running the stove is very intuitive.

I do not have a stove top thermometer at this time...the stove store I went to this morning did not have them, maybe they were out of them, I did not ask.

Our house is a "4-square"(probably another name for this type of house in other regions). It has a square foot-print, 3 bedrooms and a bath upstairs, livingroom, diningroom and kitchen downstairs and a full basement. The house is very compartmentalized with the exception of the open basement. The basement seems to stay arounf 75f the 1st floor 70-72f and the upper floor 65-67f. Our furnace fan moves the air throughout the house but the burner rarely comes on now unless OAT is less than 10f. Attic is insulated the walls are plaster and lath with zero insulation. House is 104 years old and leaky.

Burn times from reloaded and roaring to no fire and minimal coals is about 5 hours with the air control at 20% open. As I mentioned my Silver Maple is not fully seasoned. With seasoned white oak I imagine 9 hour burn times are obtainable.

Glenn

One of the first things I noticed when switching from gas forced air to wood heat was that the wife and I don`t bundle-up with a bunch of blankets while watching a movie/tv. Even though the temp says its the same as when we were running the furnace the house feels more evenly heated. Comfier is a good description.

GG

glenng said:

Thanks for noticing.

GG

just remember not to burn your shims <chuckle> nice unit , glad to hear you are happy with it

Congrats and looking good. Remember its ok to look east and give OPEC the middle finger solute.

elkimmeg said:
Congrats and looking good. Remember its ok to look east and give OPEC the middle finger solute.

I`m on the natural gas grid so I don`t know which direction to face when I give my salute but between the new wood stove and the new tankless water heater I feel like I`m really "sticking it to the Man" .

GG

Status
Not open for further replies.