First fire of the 2010-2011 season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
Very cool, very damp, very gloomy with a big dump of rain coming. Fired up the little dragon this a.m. OHHHHHHHH.........so nice! Temp rising nicely here in the house. Yup........................it's that time of the year. Bring it on!!!!!!!!

We probably won't be too far behind you as it is pretty damp right now so we may build a small fire just to take the dampness out. It is that time of the year now.

We have had a fire here in western Oregon every month of this year. Quite a few in May and June, one on July 2nd or 3rd, and one on August 31st. All were legit fires, not just to say we had one. We have had a pretty cool summer here in west oregon and with the La Nina it sounds like winter will be cooler than normal. We totally rely on wood heat so if the house gets below 60* or so and the outside temp is in the 50s we usually have atleast a small fire.

RL

my wife finally said go! :cheese:

DSC08256.jpg

loon said:
my wife finally said go! :cheese:

DSC08256.jpg

But why can I see smoke!? ;-) I'm sure the picture was taken at start up.

Where are you at, RiverLogger? I usually don't fire up until at least October, even in a crummy year like this one, but I've got a furnace for backup.

I wont fire the stove up until the snow fly's . The furnace wont get turned on till NOV

JIM

We gave in and started just a small fire to take the dampness and chill off. Even with a small fire, that thing just kept throwing heat for hours. Yes, my wife opened the house for a few hours. lol But the heat did feel good and by the feel of things right now we might build another fire yet today. Just a little one though.

Last Sunday was my 3 fire , and in the morning the down stairs was nice n warm.... Its a good felling but wish it was still summer....

5:47 CDT burning season began here.

We are having our first real fall start in years. 80s during the day and fifties and sixties at night. Heck, supposed to be almost ninety Friday. For the first time in years I may make it to October before that sucker fires up and I am just fine with that because by Christmas I will be tired of it anyway.

It is the only heat in this joint and I will be perfectly happy to wait. Have fun folks.

RiverLogger said:
We have had a fire here in western Oregon every month of this year. Quite a few in May and June, one on July 2nd or 3rd, and one on August 31st. All were legit fires, not just to say we had one. We have had a pretty cool summer here in west oregon and with the La Nina it sounds like winter will be cooler than normal. We totally rely on wood heat so if the house gets below 60* or so and the outside temp is in the 50s we usually have atleast a small fire.

RL

That was our weather last year . . . a very discouraging Summer -- wet and cold. Like you I think I had a fire going every month. This summer however has been fantastic.

Had my first fire last night. Temp. was down in the 40s and I've been itching to get a small fire going, so I said what the heck? Tomorrow's supposed to be about 80 degrees, so I imagine it'll be a while before the next one.
I tried the top down version and it seemed to work well. I'll have to give it another shot with a bigger load and see what happens.

Redburn said:
Last Sunday was my 3 fire , and in the morning the down stairs was nice n warm.... Its a good felling but wish it was still summer....

Seriously?

Its not even chilly in CT yet. To each his own, and I hope you enjoyed your fire, but I hope I don't even think about it for a couple more weeks.

Wendel, I can not be too far from you in New Berlin and no fires here. I am hoping not to throw the match for another 3-5 weeks..ahhh, the temptation... :lol:

It wasn't big and it wasn't long. Today, however, we could almost turn the air on.

Cascade Failure said:
Redburn said:

Seriously?

Its not even chilly in CT yet. To each his own, and I hope you enjoyed your fire, but I hope I don't even think about it for a couple more weeks.

I'm serious never joke about burning Lol! My house is all stone and has 3ft sofit's and it's warmer outside then inside. Not kidding. During fall it get tends to feel Damp enough to make it worth a small one enough to warm things up.... And yes we did enjoy the fire ;) ......

No fires here yet . The temp got to 85 yesterday !
I don't have storage so the first cool nights I will run the gas and then when it gets decently cold mid Nov or so I will fire up the boiler and run it nonstop until the begining of March or so.

We broke a 115 year old record high yesterday (96) with a high temp of 98.

I don't think I'll be firing up my new fireplace for quite some time.

wendell said:
It wasn't big and it wasn't long. Today, however, we could almost turn the air on.

I've always been anxious to burn when the weather gets cooler, but I'm not feeling it yet. 80 tomorrow. Looks like cooler temps and rainy
conditions for the weekend. Maybe then.

Yeah I'm chomping at the bit to get my first fire going. It's going to be above 80 tomorrow and Friday so I think I've got a couple of weeks left.

Been heating for a couple weeks, 60s during the day, 30s at night.

My house is slab heat so it works better to just have a small fire at night instead of warming up the slab.

S'posed to be nearly 90 tomorrow . . . ran a/c in the rec room last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.