First fire of the season in my Jotul #8

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spirilis - Could you post a pic of your baffle and brick set up?. I have a Jotul 3 that i would like to add a baffle to (it has no baffle, just the rear burn plate). The jotul 8 is so similar to the 3 that i hope i could make a similar baffle setup from 1/4 plate steel. Thanks also for your detailed posts. Very informative. E

Keep meaning to post pics but haven't yet, sorry! Got a hot load of coals in the stove so right now is not the time.

Anyway, last night I did an experiment which worked extremely well. I ran the stove like a modern non-catalytic EPA stove - Choked down the primary air (wad of aluminum foil) while leaving plenty going into the secondary air (draft wheel 2/3rd open). Had a load of ~26lb worth of liberty bricks (ala BioBricks) in the stove, which was running a bit smoky out the stack with a gates-of-hell inferno despite 1/2 air.

First thing was, the stack cleaned up substantially--though there was still a little smoke. Second, the flames in the firebox slowed down quite a bit, and third, there was a bias towards darker, more bluish/purplish/orange flame, including the esteemed "ghost flames" one finds near the baffle of a burntube stove (although in this case it was happening in the dead area in the sides of the firebox near where the secondary air comes in from behind the inner plates).

Best of all though, stovetop temps didn't shoot into the 700's like usual, but remained in the 600's and very slowly rose ... and by 5AM we had a few huge chunks of coaled bricks still burning away with ~150F stovetop temps. This load was added around 7:30PM.

Added a scoop of wood pellets around 5AM to liven up the coals and burn them down, removed the wad of foil and opened the draft completely. Then in 20min or so reloaded with ~16lb worth of fuel, let it char at full throttle until ~550F stovetop temps, then closed to 2/3rds and choked the primary, leaving just a tiny crack in the edge of the foil for primary air. Still around 300F right now (9AM) with a very dark firebox and some dim red glowy coals. It really seems to prolong the coaling stage.

Saturday I took the Jotul out and demolished it, sent it to a metal recycler... got $9.60 for it lol. I suppose I could have sold it locally, many folks try to sell old smoke dragons around here, but it didn't feel right to me--call it youthful idealism I guess. I would prefer folks use modern clean-burning appliances.

England Stove Works Madison scheduled for delivery this coming Thursday. Got the chimney and hearth all cleaned and ready for it. Turns out I got about 1 gallon of light, fluffy brown stuff from last year's time with the Jotul 8 burning wood briquettes (ala biobricks) exclusively. I guess that's not too bad... but I'm excited for the burn-tube light show coming up.

20150926_082229_resized.jpg 20150926_082242_resized.jpg 20150926_082233_resized.jpg

Pics for fun. The payload weighed 325lbs according to the scales.

Gosh, almost brought me to tears with that unexpected twist to your love story! Do keep us posted with your new flame!

Reactions: spirilis
Status
Not open for further replies.