First Fire of the Season Tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Thought I saw a topic here on starting up each winter but can't find it now.

In the past I have just started up by building a 'regular' fire.

Should initial fires of the year start out not so hot, kind of like break-in fires with a new stove?

My start up fires aren't as hot anyway because the outside temps. aren't cold enough to warrant a really hot fire.

Not ready to burn yet but was just wondering. Our temps. are still in the 80's.

Thanks

I think with cast and soap stoves a small breakin fire would be a good idea to drive out any summer moistue in the mortar or stone. No worries with steel, let her rip.

Todd said:
I think with cast and soap stoves a small breakin fire would be a good idea to drive out any summer moistue in the mortar or stone. No worries with steel, let her rip.

Thank-you for the response.

perplexed said:
Thought I saw a topic here on starting up each winter but can't find it now.

In the past I have just started up by building a 'regular' fire.

Should initial fires of the year start out not so hot, kind of like break-in fires with a new stove?

My start up fires aren't as hot anyway because the outside temps. aren't cold enough to warrant a really hot fire.

Not ready to burn yet but was just wondering. Our temps. are still in the 80's.

Thanks

You gave the number 1 answer above (in bold). There simply is no reason to build a big fire during fall.

Make sure a critter didn't plug your chimney before you set fire to a big load and get smoked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.