First fire of the season tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgp602

Jan 7, 2006
Well, I had to do it. It is 60 and damp here in CT so i lit a fire. I didn't run the blower though. Can't wait until it gets cold and this summer weather is over!

I can stand to wait for October or so myself. I hate seeing that woodpile start to shrink almost immediately after I torch that first split. It's like somebody is coming and stealing my wood every night.

I can wait It means golf season is over means I start working in the cold means scraping frost my hands to work I can wait I can wait
Also means the furnace will come on more to warm the flue

You know, it is funny- I stacked my wood in May and little by little I noticed it was going down. This is my first year processing some of my own wood. I have a few people around where I live that also burn wood, so I figured that one of them was taking my wood. I was always looking out my window at my woodpile at night before bed to see if anyone was taking my wood! It finally occured to me that the wood was shrinking as it dried...lol

Yea, I'm not looking forward to the other cold weather chores, but now that I have a stove, its not as bad when the cold comes. Time to play that daily Chess game.

Yesterday, i had a 4 log fire that i lit just to take the chill off, it was 50's and overcast all day. This time a year, 4 sticks is all you need. With a gasket change and some good cleaning, it burnt from about 7:30 am untill about 2:00 pm, the stove stayed nice and toasty till about 7pm. Im looking forward to fall. We will start frosting on a regular basis soon, then its me aginst the furnace. See how long the wife can hold out with me turning on the furnace for the season.

Weither is a brand new stove or a old one, its always excitiong to get those first few fires up and running.

Don't have to worry about the central heat coming on. Checked it last year or year before last, don't remember, and the heat pump had died from non-use and old age.

If we ain't burnin we ain't heating around here.

Of course I could drag out the kero heaters in an emergency but at four bucks a gallon that better be one hell of an emergency. And right after the furniture went in the stove.

For right now it is 9:15 and we are all the way down to 81 from 95 this afternoon.

BrotherBart said:
For right now it is 9:15 and we are all the way down to 81 from 95 this afternoon.
Hey ! Your almost there ! Almost ready for the first fire Bb, ha .

Yeah, me too, 93 today and dry as popcorn.............grass is brown and crunchy............been so hot my cat actually likes for me to squirt him with water...............my dog digs holes so deep you can't see him anymore..........well I think he is in one of them somewhere.......I told my wife if he goes any deeper he's going to hang himself on his chain.......... %-P

I have to wear sweat head bands just to take the trash out............on the deck. Pool water has been too hot to swim, like a hot tub.

Every day I look to see if I can see a browning leaf, no luck yet. I would say it will be at least 2 months before I can even think about making a fire in my stove.

Robbie

Roospike said:
BrotherBart said:
Hey ! Your almost there ! Almost ready for the first fire Bb, ha .

Ya...last year I didn't fire up the stove until the Monday before Thanksgiving, although it was a mild winter around here. Might be earlier this year.

And Roo...love that red stove!!

paulgp602,
quick question for you since i don't think i can send PM's to you.
you posted a long list of firewood available in CT last month over in the for sale forum.
any chance you can tell me where you got that list? it looks like something that would get updated occasionally and i'd like to check it out.
thanks
chris

Thats right it was the bargain news. Click the 150 other catergories link then go to firewood and coal section.

Status
Not open for further replies.