First fire of the season Yay!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin92

Nov 11, 2012
Jackson, MI, USA
Well, the house was finally hovering around 66 degrees, and I had cleaned out the stove and checked the chimney Tuesday, so we were ready to light a fire when the time was right. I finally started it about 10 this morning, and kept a small fire going all day. Now the basement is about 75 and the upstairs is about 70, so I will probably let it go out overnight, since we all like the house cold at night anyway. I may have to take a look at the blower because it is making a strange noise, but so far all is well, and toasty warm.

I have had many small fires over the last couple of weeks but everyone's talking frost here in the next few days so that means full loads at night. Christmas trees are going up, talking full loads in the stove and my yard is full of those damn leaves! Love this time of year. Now only if it were snowing!!!

We don't have too many leaves yet, just cold (high 40's-50's!) It seems cold anyway. Would have been a welcome relief on a few days this summer though. We don't usually get a whole lot of snow so that doesn't bother me... Much. I started the stove today with a smallish load and then did a couple medium loads, and am letting it go out until morning, then will probably start over again.

As far as the Blower noise, I clean out ours twice a year, sometimes the squirrel cage gets dust and all sorts of stuff in it and throws it off balance making it noisier than usual. We had a small fire going a couple of mornings ago....felt good.

I had a look at ours before I lit the stove and it was pretty clean. It was completely disassembled and cleaned near the end of last season when one of the bearings came loose- THAT made some noise for sure. So far I think the noise has gone away on its own, sounded like a vibration coming from somewhere.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Status
Not open for further replies.