First fire of the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
The weather here in NW Oregon has been HOT HOT HOT and real dry for the past 3 months with little more than a few light showers that did little more than make it muggy.

Night before last the tune changed and so did the weather.
We saw a very unusually vigorous storm blow in off the Pacific with wind, rain, thunder and just plain lovely weather :)

I rolled out this morning and the house was only 65 F :eek:
I had not seen anything under 70 for a loooooooooooong time.

Decided to stoke up the little Whitfield and take the chill off.

Stove had not even been cleaned since early June, ahh well, so the glass is dirty and the ash tray is full :(

But it's warm in here now :):)

Fall is just around the corner now, and gonna be time to get ready for the long wet and cold.

Snowy

Reactions: olmec
I was almost ready to stoke up the Elena a couple of weeks ago ... two days of 64F in the house. Waited long enough that it's hot and muggy again!

Reactions: CleanFire
Yeah I have to get on the roof and brush the chimneys. Just hard to make myself do it when it is 90 degrees and the roof is like a frying pan. It was 55 outside a couple of mornings ago and it felt cold out there.

Hello
Just got the front door and door knob on my new 12x22'' workshop that we have been building all spring and summer! Now I have to put a pellet stove in there for heat!
Only took 25 tons of concrete over 7 tons of 3/4" stone!
It is cooler tonight but still 69 degrees out there at 11 PM tonight!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 210
Had to fire the Harman with crosslink when we had a couple days that it only made 60 or so outside in August? House dropped under 65. Dried the basement out very nicely and we are back to normal temps but still smoky haze in the air from all the fires out west.

68-70. The basement was at 61 when I fired up the Harman and upstairs was at 64 even after cooking some banana rum raisin bread pudding in the oven.

I started a few weeks ago. I couldn't wait any longer. I wanted to run a few tests with the damper. I built a roaring fire in my vc superchamp aka winter warmth. I quickly got it over a hundred degrees in the room. Of course it was eighty to begin with.

The A/C is still going here up north!

We had a very cool summer. Daytime here today was 84 with smoke and humidity and a air alert and started out with a low of 64 so we just open the windows late evening and shut things up about 9 in the morning. Figured we ran the ac about 60 hours total for the season. Started onion harvest west of here and corn is in full dent and some ears are hanging to dry.

Summer came to a screeching halt in the PNW. Forecast is for a cool wet September, which is good. It will put all the fires down for the season and settle the dust and ash.

I have not put any pellets up for the winter, but I am considering buying a few bags for this early season shoulder. My two stoves are clean and ready. If the temperature in the house reaches 64 degrees then I will fire them up to blow the push the cold out.

I have not put any pellets up for the winter, but I am considering buying a few bags for this early season shoulder. My two stoves are clean and ready. If the temperature in the house reaches 64 degrees then I will fire them up to blow the push the cold out.

I won't even consider it until the house drops to the mid 50's.... maybe I'm just cheap... lol

Reactions: Cory S
I won't even consider it until the house drops to the mid 50's.... maybe I'm just cheap... lol
You probably don't have any arthritis either. Heat, a good warm bath and a hot meal are a major perk of modern living. I am going to enjoy them.

You probably don't have any arthritis either. Heat, a good warm bath and a hot meal are a major perk of modern living. I am going to enjoy them.

severe arthritis in my hands and back....

severe arthritis in my hands and back....
Sorry to hear that ... the MD tried to tell me that too but it turned out it was my parathyroids were bad and messing up the body levels of calcium & vitamin D. I had severe cramping in muscles... Shouldn't have a problem in the summer with vitamin D as you're a farmer!

Sorry to hear that ... the MD tried to tell me that too but it turned out it was my parathyroids were bad and messing up the body levels of calcium & vitamin D. I had severe cramping in muscles... Shouldn't have a problem in the summer with vitamin D as you're a farmer!

oh mine is definitely arthritis with a healthy dose of damage to the myelin sheaths in both the carpal and ulnar tunnels... basically the nerves take twice as long as they should to transmit a message. Of course the nail sideways through my right hand years ago doesn't help... so for me... cold or warm... hurts the same.

yeah, got rid of the dog, as she randomly started attacking our other two. My avatar is my tractor... a '44 farmall A that my grandfather bought new..

Well today is the last summer weather day of the year by the looks of it. Tomorrow 63 with a night temp of 43 so shoulder season looks like it will be here right before fall begins.

We are supposed to get back to mid and upper 70's here and that's above the average of 70. We are supposed to drop 20 degrees average daily temp in the next 30 days. I hate the fact we have lost so much daylight.

Status
Not open for further replies.