First Fire of the Season!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Amazing! can't beleive it, but I lit my first fire of the season in the stove on Saturday morning. It was cold and rainly and about 40-42 outside when i wok e up and it was just barely 60 inside, so I bit the bullet adn lit the stove for a few hours. Got it roaring right away and tossed in a few splits. Love the feeling of a warm 500lb hunk of cast iron!

I have the feeling its going to be a very long, snowy winter.

C'mon, mayhem, you know the rules. If there are no pictures, it didn't happen.

mayhem said:
I have the feeling its going to be a very long, snowy winter.

I've got my eye on this one. On one side you have NOAA and the rest saying an easier than normal winter and on the other side we have the farmers almanac saying harsher than normal. Should be interesting.

I'm ignoring both. I'm guessing its going to be harsh based on the seriously above average rainfall and below average temperatures we've had these past months and months. We never got our summertime blast of heat in my region, other than a few days in mid April when it got really close to the 100 mark. On the flip side, nor did we ever get that amazing bone chilling stretch last winter when it sites in low single digits and dips well below zero for about 10-14 days. I think we'll get milder temperatures overall for the winter, but we'll have another cold and wet fall and spring. I expect snowfall to be above average as well, probably with fewer big storms, rather we'll get lots of 1-3" snowfalls. Just enough to make me keep the plow on my truck so I get really bad fuel economy.

I'm saying we won't be as cold this winter and a lot less snow. But I speak only for our area. You guys on the east and west coast have to fend for yourselves. And that guy, North of 60, I forecast he will have a very cold and long winter.

We are doing OK so far Backwoods. Still trying to get used to driving in the dark again. 1st fresh snowfall in the mountains yesterday. Leaves have been turning for awhile. 30F this AM
Yes the fire was lit.

Attachments

• 1st snow.jpg
    1st snow.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 257
I'm banking on the harsh winter here. Seems like summer dropped of the edge of the earth and my garden proves it, everything is smaller and just stopped producing with the cool August. Seems like it the past few years it starts with Thanksgiving. I remember a stretch when I was in my teens that it was a rare thing to have a white Christmas.

Pretty sure I remember hearing that this is going to be an el nino winter. If that's true it'll be milder than usual. Personally I never pay attention to the weather anyway cause around here it either rains/snows or it doesn't. No worries of killer hurricanes or tornadoes.

Still haven't had a fire yet and pretty sure it got down to the high 40's...nor has the propain backup fired up.

I'm still waiting to see what the wooly bear caterpillars look like before I do any prognosticating. ;)

Actually, my grandfather always said you could tell in the Fall how the winter would go in terms of snowfall by the amount of water in the farm pond. Full pond = less snow. Empty pond = more snow. I don't know if it's a matter of Mother Nature "evening" things out, but I can say that in general this theory of my grandfather's tends to hold true.

That said, I'm like Savage . . . whatever weather will come will come and there is no sense worrying or getting all worked up about it (for better or for worse) . . . you just prepare for it and weather the weather.

firefighterjake said:
I'm still waiting to see what the wooly bear caterpillars look like before I do any prognosticating. ;)

LOL I dont believe the acorn thing either, but anyone notice how many freaking acorns are on the ground? I think Ive just about killed my lawnmower blade the last few weeks there are so many!

Status
Not open for further replies.