First fire of the year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulie

Nov 27, 2007
SW Mich.
ok..haven't clean chimney from last year yet, but will it be ok to start a fire? it should help to loosen things up for a good cleaning right?

I'd clean it. Better safe than sorry!

I always have my low temp season break in fire before cleaning my liner. Just did that today.

It's entirely up to you . . . I don't know if it "loosens" things up or not . . . but in my case I've actually had a few fires in the stove right through the summer -- never thought I would be lighting a fire for warmth in early July but I did. I don't suspect there's any real problem unless any critters have got into the chimney (i.e. wasp nests or dead birds) in which case you will know shortly if there is a blockage. As for me, I cleaned out the chimney back in mid-September as part of my pre-burning ritual . . . just so I don't forget to do it later on when it's cooler.

It was a pleasant afternoon this Sunday, so I got up on the roof and did the pre-season brushing as well. Just wanted to make sure it was clean and that no critters were setting up a winter home/them park. :cheese:

Thanks guys...I have done a couple break fires. it's all good !! and it's a little chilly here in Mich !

Status
Not open for further replies.