first fire of year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tahoostas

Jun 1, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Had the first fire of the year last night! I wasn't the only one happy about it. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 313
Thinking of putting an inflatable mattress in my basement so I can do the same!

Reactions: tahoostas
We were getting to -1C the last few nights. I couldn't resist. I think we are in for a really nice week now so back to waiting.
Remkel, there is almost always someone laying or sitting in front of the fire! The kids ate their breakfast in front of it all last winter.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
First fire on fireview for year. 50 out and raining. I usually like it a little colder out but is nice.
Not much combuster action with this little bit of wood but is comfortable.

Attachments

• 20131006_133417.jpg
    20131006_133417.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 194
First fire on fireview for year. 50 out and raining. I usually like it a little colder out but is nice.
Not much combuster action with this little bit of wood but is comfortable.
Hard to beat a soapstone stove fire on a cold rainy day.

Reactions: sappy
Hard to beat any wood stove on a cold rainy day!

We've had a few fires but looking at the forecast it does not appear we'll be having another one this week. This is amazing that we aren't burning in October. No doubt, it will catch up to us.

Reactions: sappy
I know Dennis is hard to believe the temps but we will take it.
I hope all is well and you have been able to get out hunting some.

You are right there Sappy about the temps.

Sad that I have not yet been able to hunt. Hopefully will be able to get some done this week. We've had a few problems plus a close friend who is fighting a hard battle. We'll get through it.

Hope you have the wood put up for the boiler for next spring!

Hard to beat any wood stove on a cold rainy day!

We've had a few fires but looking at the forecast it does not appear we'll be having another one this week. This is amazing that we aren't burning in October. No doubt, it will catch up to us.
Dennis, you're absolutely right. Any wood stove would feel great on a cold rainy damp day. :) My response was a direct reply to a post made by Sappy who just happened to be using a soapstone stove. I was just trying to personalize it.

Last edited:
Same day start up for me also, Nice damp NJ weather here.

Good thing you have different hearths, or you might forget where you are. I like your stove-in-a-closet pics.
Both fireplaces are the same width, with similar mantels and doors, one all original, the other mostly reproduction. The real trouble is that one opening is 5-1/2 feet high, and the other is only 4-1/2 feet high. I catch the back of my head on that lower lintel standing up too quick, several times each year, and can tell you that beam has zero "give".

Still the biggest fireplaces I have ever seen. It would be interesting to see a BKK in one, since there aren't mamy fireplaces where one would fit, but those Jotuls look 'right'.

Sharp looking !! I love the doors :)

Pondering firing the PE as I type, damp as all get out here.

Nice Joful... I look at those shots and the stoves look so small, I have to remind myself that the F12 is a BIG stove to get the scale of it...

That lower skull cracker would mess with me also, I'd tend to it first increasing my odds with the higher one 2nd ;lol

Reactions: Ashful
Beautiful! I usually start before October 1, but have held out so far and will probably do so for another week. A combination of warm days and not wanting to waste the wood/effort when I can run a little heater.

Kind of surprised that you lit off. I'm further north of you and it's 60 outside here.

I love the look of those fireplaces with those big honkers in them.

Lit a little one in the pellet basket in the 30 tonight to knock the chill off of the joint in this rainy weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.