First fire question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chutes

Sep 8, 2008
CT
Doing first break-in fire as I type, based upon information that I learned here on this site (thanks everyone). Using kindling to get it going, and find that I've been working a good 20 minutes with the door open, as it seems to be getting going better this way. Is that normal? In other words, when starting the fire is it common to spend some time with the door open? If so, how do you know when it is a good time to go ahead and shut the door?

Thanks

I usually just put 2-3 splits on bottom with kindling and news paper on topof the splits. I light the paperwith a match. then i close the door most of the way to where my latch catches but don't close it tight so some air will go between gaskets. Then I sit on the couch waiting for it to take off (5-10 mins.). Then I walk over and push the handle on my door the rest of the way down and enjoy. I found I really like the top down method. Hope ths helps.

that does help. Thanks.

A follow-up. I found that for the first 15 minutes or so, when I closed the door the insert filled with smoke. Now when I close the door it is crystal clear through the glass. Is that also a good sign that it is time to close the door completely? (I still haven't closed it completely, as I wanted to check on the answer to this first).

Also, does anyone want to explain the "Why" that happens? In other words, why it fills with smoke and then no smoke later? I assume that might be a temp thing, but is the fact that there is no smoke in the insert now also a good sign that the temp is at a good point that creosote buildup should be less of a concern? Just trying to learn what I can. Thanks.

The kindling fire is heating up the chimney. When that is hot- air rises better in it, and it draws more air through the stove to feed the fire. If it's not drawing well yet- then there's not enough air. Close it now.

Good for you being carefule on this and doing it right.

thanks! it is closed now, and it is beautiful.

Must be warming up nice too, because here comes the acrid smell of the paint curing.

Status
Not open for further replies.