First fire questions..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stender

Mar 14, 2014
Enfield, CT
So I'm thinking about starting the stove up this weekend and I'm wondering if I should burn a couple fires before I clean in. Obviously I'll inspect it first but is that a good or bad idea. No big fires probably just some small stuff to get the chill out . Thanks !

If your chimney is dirty you may have a reduced draft, now since its still relatively warmer outside drafts are normally not as strong, especially on cold start ups. You maybe asking for an inside smoke problem.
Check your chimney and cap for any debris, if you can see any don't fire the stove until its cleaned (if your checking the chimney, it only takes 5 extra minutes to brush it)

Status
Not open for further replies.