First fire Running Hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silvertwins

Feb 28, 2014
Thumb of Michigan
This is our first fire in our new Blaze King King Ultra. The fire seems to want to stay in the very high active range. Is this okay. If not, suggestions.

The fire or just the heat from the cat?

New cats are very "aggressive" Wont take much to peg it for the first 6 months.

Reactions: jeff_t
Is this a break in fire or first big fire? Takes a little getting used to but start turning the air down sooner and let it come up to temp slowly.

Yep, the new cat will light off quickly, and run the cat probe on the high end. That's pretty normal. Mine still runs not quite at the end of the active range quite a bit, after three seasons. Don't sweat it. The stove is pretty well designed, and crazy cat temps just don't really happen. The cat probe isn't exactly a precision instrument, either, especially at higher temps.

If you think you need to, open the bypass for a while. Turning the air down and snuffing out any flame makes more smoke for the cat to burn.

Thank you for the quick responses. This is our first big fire, so thank you for relieving our first fire jitters. The t stat seems to be regulating because the fire will smolder and then light back up, so it looks like it's doing what it's suppose to do. My gut instinct would be that the thermostat should stay in the middle of the normal range, but if you veterans have temps at the high end of active, I'm feeling a lot better.

Don't sweat it, everything sounds as it should. After 3 seasons mine still burns at the top of the active zone.

Welcome to wood heating.....

And welcome to Hearth.com!

Yep it's normal. I just put a new cat in a few weeks ago and that first week it was all or nothing for like a week.
I could only do low and slow..any extra air and the thing went crazy!
The cat would light up a dark room!
I was seeing 750 at times on the hot spot just in front of the probe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.