First fire this season! Anyone else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lessoil

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2008
Western Maine
Could not resist!
40 outside and 65 in the living room.
I just had to have a fire to go with my coffee!!
MY BAD!!

Been tempted, but my house has been staying pretty warm even though
it has been getting quite cool at nite.

Next weekend's chore- close up the pool for the winter and open the
stove ventcaps so they will be ready to fire up soon.

I assume you were more anxious to run the pellet stove than having a real need for the heat.
Not that this pertains to you but I`m not sure that prematurely heating a home is beneficial in any way , in the sense that folks can easily get accustomed (acclimated) to more warmth than normally required.
I do know that the human body can acclimate itself to warmer or colder climate (within reason).
When I was heating with wood our home hovered around 74 degrees (wood stove in basement at 80+ ). At times it was near stifling but we got to the point where we wanted it very warm. I recall being drowsy more often from all that heat too.
Last winter our the thermostats in the living areas rarely got turned higher than 70 and we were fine with that. I just didn`t hang around in just a T shirt anymore. 2nd floor bedrooms (zoned) stood 65 and not a problem either.

Gio said:
I assume you were more anxious to run the pellet stove than having a real need for the heat.
As we say around here,"Just enough to get the chill out"
I did not need it but wanted it. Only burned 2 cups of pellets!!

Well, I have to admit. I did a 20 minute test run. Not that the house was that cold. But at least now I know the stove is set to go.

Also, Does a fire in the outside fire pit count? We stayed outside late last night and burned a little fire to take off the chill and I just stared at the flames for a while. And I lite another this evening so my son and his friends could roast some marshmallow's.

Even if the heat isn't needed, Sometimes the flames settling effect is! ;-P

jay

Got it runnin' right now :)

House was a little chilly, so I'll run it for a little while to "get the chill out". This is the second time, however.

For some strange reason, the auger was jammed, so I had to wrestle with that this evening for a few. Working fine now, though :)

Im thinking about it. Got the vent cap uncovered, pellets ready to go. Should get down into the low 40's here.
I might start her up to make sure im all set.
The flames will keep the beer company.

Hate to say it but I've almost burned a bag of pellets so far. I have the new P43 set around 70-72, and it has kicked on several times in the early mornings. It works great just a small fire to take the chill off, amazing how this stove can regulate itself. I figure this is a good time of year to get any potental bugs worked out of the new set up, and so far so good.

BJN644 said:
Hate to say it but I've almost burned a bag of pellets so far. I have the new P43 set around 70-72, and it has kicked on several times in the early mornings. It works great just a small fire to take the chill off, amazing how this stove can regulate itself. I figure this is a good time of year to get any potental bugs worked out of the new set up, and so far so good.

hey , you bought a great unit (harman is quality and it shows in your case) ok enough said on the shout out, it is pretty cool how a stove can bring the comfort up with a few hours of burning aint it?

I had the itch for a couple days now, and now I have the pellets, (4 tons stacked in the garage) might give it a spin in the AM!

stoveguy2esw said:
BJN644 said:

hey , you bought a great unit (harman is quality and it shows in your case) ok enough said on the shout out, it is pretty cool how a stove can bring the comfort up with a few hours of burning aint it?

I love my little Englander too, I had that running one night in the shop about a week ago when it was cold and raining. Home Depot has a Honeywell programmable thermostat for around $20, I'm hoping I can wire that into my 25 pdvc for a little more automatic operation.

I have a nice fire going right now. I am sitting here drinking a few beers enjoying the heat.

You pellet premies are way to funny. lol. I am not that antsy yet. lol. House is pretty tight and stays pretty warm this time of year. Have 2 1/2 tons in the basement...have 30 bags to go pick up and pack into my living room closet.... I hold off firing up early cause once I start it....it very very rarely gets shut off if at all(during dec.,jan. and feb. it def. doesnt get shut off at all)

Tried a small run Thursday evening just to show the brother in law and his wife how it ran. They were amazed at being able to touch the stove pipe and the top of the stove without being burnt. They were also surprised that we just sat back and it started itself. It's my first year burning pellets and a new Quad Castile. I do think that on the low speed my flames should be a little higher so when the pellets finally go down low enough I will try to adjust my feed rate a little higher. Looking forward to the opening of the NFL season and watching games with a small fire in the corner of the room. The only thing I ned to buy is a good stove vacuum.

With 8o's and 60's for the rest of the week, my stove is not even plugged in. I have not even thought about knocking the dust off yet.

lessoil said:
Could not resist!
MY BAD!!

I feel sorry for you guys, I'm another 2 months from firing mine up!!!

THE ROOSTER said:
lessoil said:
Could not resist!
MY BAD!!

I feel sorry for you guys, I'm another 2 months from firing mine up!!!

Well....On the bright side, I think, highs over the next 15 days will be 62-77.
No snow yet!!

Took the cover off the vent about a week ago.... within a few days the freeking bees moved in, so I fired up the stove to take care of them!!! Stove ran great and the bees ran faster.

My official statement is, I did not start my stove until a January 2009. This of course is for all the IRS people that may be listening when I take my tax credit at the end of the year. Having clarified, I did spark the stove up couple nights ago after reconnecting outside air and exhaust pipe. After all, I wanted to burn off the fresh paint that I had put on during the summer to protect it from rusting as well as the Pam which did a great job in preventing any rust on the inside of my stove.

Mine doesn't get fired up until it's cold enough day & night to keep it
running continuously.

I fired mine up Sunday Morning for a couple of hours., Only cos I wanted to make sure everything was ready. Ran so good My Daughter was begging me to leave it on. Had all the windows open, but did look Good.

Xena said:
Mine doesn't get fired up until it's cold enough day & night to keep it
running continuously.

Ditto.....I haven't even thought about firing mine. It hasn't got below about 69-70 in the house, even on those couple of cool nights.
Hopefully, won't have to touch it until October.....and if the price of oil stays low like it is, maybe not at all this winter... :wow:

Man, I LOVE having options!!

Last year was my first year with the stove and I ran it early just to get the hang of it,this year my goal is not to touch it until mid october (if the wife allows me)

I was feeling cool in my house late yesterday while settled in and watching TV. I closed the windows and put on warmer clothes. I'll tough it out for September and into October if I can. Save money -wear polar fleece.

Status
Not open for further replies.