First fire to help get rid of smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hallibean6

Dec 8, 2014
Wisconsin
Ok. Englander 30N is sitting in driveway on metal trailer. I want to burn a few times to help get rid of any smell before bringing it in. Any suggestions as to how many times or how long each time. Really want to do this right.

follow the breakin procedure and then have one good fire. You will probably have to put at least some stove pipe on it to get it to work though

follow the breakin procedure and then have one good fire. You will probably have to put at least some stove pipe on it to get it to work though
Have stove pipe on it. Someone told us about 4 or 5 half hour fires with a few hours in between each..does that sound right?

What does your manual say about breakin fires? do that first and then i would burn a decent fire in it to get it as close to operating temp as you can without a good chimney.

I would fill it full & run it wide open until the fire's out . If it won't do that , I wouldn't want in my house ! Can't imagine a 30 minute fire. Good luck whatever ya do .

I would fill it full & run it wide open until the fire's out . If it won't do that , I wouldn't want in my house ! Can't imagine a 30 minute fire. Good luck whatever ya do .
What do you mean if it wont do that? It will do it but you really should do the proper break in procedure. and it will never burn right if not hooked to a chimney

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
Stick six feet of stove pipe in top of it and start a kindling fire. After the kindling fire is burning add bigger wood and let'er rock and roll. The break in procedure for that stove is start a fire in the thing and burn it. You will be lucky to have enough draft to get it up to five hundred degrees stove top and will have to keep the door cracked to get it that far. Take it up to five hundred and keep it there a couple of times and it should be ready to go live in the house when it cools down.

30 outside.jpg
30 outside burn.JPG

Reactions: Hallibean6
The break in procedure for that stove is start a fire in the thing and burn it.
well there is the answer i should have checed the manual and saved the trouble but i didnt glad bb is here to set us straight lol

Keeping leaves from landing on it and catching fire was the hard part. >>

Reactions: Hallibean6
Mine took a little longer than yours will. I had to cure the factory black paint, let it go cold, apply a coat of metallic brown, fire up and cure that and then do it for four more coats.

002.JPG First fire (outside to cure the stove, get the new smell off and get it ready for some heavy duty heating) It will be a bit before everything is ready in the house for this to move in LOL Will work on new chimney this weekend and also hearth. Notice the rusty old pipe...it is the one we use when we make syrup LOL but hey it worked for this for now!!!

I dunno, I'm a rebel, I started my first fire and it's still burning 3 months later. A bit stinky the first day or two, but a few open windows and a high tolerance for fumes did the trick. :)

Ian

Different stove, soapstone not steel so much less paint, but I burned 6 fires outside with a 6' chimney before install and it still stunk a bit the first time I got it hot enough for a secondary burn. Not really a big deal - didn't set off my smoke alarm or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.