First full month utility bill since stove installed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

egclassic

Feeling the Heat
Jan 1, 2011
SW Ohio
Had my stove installed on Dec 28, 2010, just in time for the tax credit, but half way through a billing cycle. The first bill after the stove was installed, I used 86 CCF of NG, the previous years usage for this period was about 120 CCF, not bad.
This month, I only used 19 CCF of NG! compared to last years usage of 128 CCF.
My house is about 1700 SF(upstairs), with a full finished basement. The basement is cold (about 62*) since the furnace never runs, but I do not mind since we do not spend much time there in the winters.
My electric usage is also way down, even though I run the blower on the stove all the time.
I have not really saved much since I've had to buy all my wood this year, but it sure feels good keeping that money out of the hands of the utility company. I am going to start cutting wood for next season within a week or two.
My only issue is trying to keep the humidity levels up in the house. I always have a pan of water on the stove, but the humidity level never goes above 25%.
I definately do not regret buying this stove!

Congratulations on your new found independence!! It will feel even better next year on free wood.

The tough reality is that you need to cut 2 winter's worth of wood this summer to get "caught up" and have well seasoned wood. If you get moving now, you'll do OK next winter, but you'll do even better the following one.

For humidity, be sure that you're venting your clothes dryer into the basement in the winter time. That's kind of a no-brainer since the heat and the humidity are both good for the wintertime. We picked up a floor humidifier which can evaporate about 4 gallons a day. It's amazing where all that water goes. My wife would rather have the air a bit dry than feel the cool air around the humidifier though. Go figure.

ControlFreak said:
The tough reality is that you need to cut 2 winter's worth of wood this summer to get "caught up" and have well seasoned wood. If you get moving now, you'll do OK next winter, but you'll do even better the following one.

For humidity, be sure that you're venting your clothes dryer into the basement in the winter time. That's kind of a no-brainer since the heat and the humidity are both good for the wintertime. We picked up a floor humidifier which can evaporate about 4 gallons a day. It's amazing where all that water goes. My wife would rather have the air a bit dry than feel the cool air around the humidifier though. Go figure.

Assuming of course that the clothes dryer is electric and not gas . . . venting a gas dryer inside the home would be bad . . . very, very bad. If you do vent your electric clothes dryer inside during the winter you will want to get a vent kit which has a lint trap . . . and be aware that this will need frequent cleaning and even then you may end up with more dust inside the room with the dryer . . . that said . . . it does put out some moisture.

My wife has decided after three years that she wants to get a humidifier for the house . . . for some reason this year has been quite dry inside the home . . . apparently she is tired of shocking the cats every time she pets them.

Status
Not open for further replies.