First full season burning...how much do I need?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
See, I was going on the principal that a face cord is 4x8x16" or any other variant so long as it comes to around 42 cu ft. So, when speaking of face cords, you should always ask the bucked length then?

16 is the common definition and rarely deviated from but the technical definition is 4x8x buck length.

A face cord is a third of a cord, plain and simple. Yes, basically 42-43 cu ft no matter how you measure it the volume needs to be 42-43 cu ft. Yes 16 inch is the most common. I tend to go 16-18 on my stuff. Sometimes close to 20. But, I also have my share of 12 inch stuff. It all averages out.

A third of a cord is a safe assumption because wood is seldom bucked shorter than 16 inches. Some purveyors may sell a stove cord, the "stove" being a cookstove that takes wood shorter than 16 inches. A stove cord is usually split to smaller size as well so there is a lot more air space in the stack.

.....and this is why I love Hearth.com! Always learning something. ;-)

heatit said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Heatit,

Did you want some Red Oak? :)

If you want to bring your chain saw over, I have a little over a face cord you can have. Everything is on the driveway.......

Let me know.

Hiram

That would be great, but only if you are sure you don't want it. I have been able to do some scrounging and have about 3 cords total in the yard now. Tree services stuff never panned out, but word of mouth did pretty good.

Its not that I don't want it :cheese: but thought I would help you out a bit......
If you want some PM me with your phone number and I will give you a call
http://i39.tinypic.com/k183lz.jpg

Backwoods Savage said:
Hiram Maxim said:
kingfisher said:
are you guys talking face cords

Outside of Michigan when folks talk cords they are referring to a full cord! (3 cords for us Michiganders) %-P

Hiram, that's "most Michiganders." A cord is still a cord. I'm actually amazed that some folks haven't been taken to court over this so-called "cord" of wood they sell around here.

I know what you are saying! Like the company in Detroit (lists on Ebay) that calls a face cord, a cord. I have also seen this on Craigs list........

I think if I ever had to start buying wood..... I'd just turn on the NG furnace :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.