First good cold snap of the year and the NC-13

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
As I'm about a little over my first year of burning wood in my NC-13. I'm really digging it. But the learning curve has been interesting. This weekend is our first good cold snap of the season. I loaded the stove good yesterday morning, in preparations for the dropping temperatures. It was still about 70 degress in the house when I got home last night. Filled it up three time before I went to bed at about 11 oclock at which it was 74 degrees in the house and 9 degrees outside. Woke up at 6:30 with temps in the house around 57 degrees and 5 degrees outside. Its now about 9 am and already about 69 degrees in the house. Its suppose to get colder tonight, drop down to about 3 degrees on a clear night. But whats interesting as I started warming up the house, even with it being in the 60's it felt so much warmer, never would have felt the same with the forced air heater. But a couple things I've learned from this fall when the temperatures dipped down is , its hard to play catch up with the wood heat, as long as your ahead of the game, the NC-13 does alright. It just needs a little more attention every 3-4 hours on maximizing the temperature, at temperatures below 15 degrees. So far this year I've only fire the heater once just to make sure it still runs, will probably do it another time before the end of the year. The only question is do I move on up to a NC-30 or stay with what I have. We usually get cold snaps like this periodically through the year maybe like a total of 3 weeks worth and just fight through it. Things to ponder. But right now I'll go back to enjoying the wood heat. Awwwww. :lol:

Not sure if this is a "good" cold snap, at least the wind is out of the North.

oldspark said:

LoL...Well when it dips in the single digits and then dips into the lower single digits, from where its been most of the season. I'll fuzz the line and call it a "good" cold snap. But your techinically right, in more normal years.

oldspark said:
Well... it's an ill wind that blows no good. You can thank us Canadians for that good North wind. Our -24°C 25km/h winds are coming from the West.

33 here right now with the wind starting to blow. Allegheny Mountains are supposed to get a foot of snow but none for us snow lovers in the valley except for the coating we got last night. I let the fire go out last night because it was 92 degrees in here last night at 11:30. I guess I going to have to go back to 24/7 burning for the next couple of days which I am glad. Starting a fire everyday is getting old fast. I would like to see the wood piled up that I have split for kindling this year!! Lows the next two or three nights are going to be in the low teen to single digits but I know that won't phase my liberty at all. It will still be in the low to upper 80s in the house :bug:

Here in the Northeast, we were told it was going to be near zero early Sun AM and Monday AM. Well, the forcast just got updated and they are backing off the Arctic temps and now they are in the low teens in the early AM. The winds will make it feel around 0. I was getting all excited to throw in some vintage Black Birtch for the occassion. Ahh, what the hell, I brought it in the house yesturday so it's going in the stove!

stejus said:
Here in the Northeast, we were told it was going to be near zero early Sun AM and Monday AM. Well, the forcast just got updated and they are backing off the Arctic temps and now they are in the low teens in the early AM. The winds will make it feel around 0. I was getting all excited to throw in some vintage Black Birtch for the occassion. Ahh, what the hell, I brought it in the house yesturday so it's going in the stove!

Yea, Hedge and Persimmon are on the Diet of the NC-13 this weekend, High Calories... LOL.....

My Acclaim was STONE COLD at 6am...no coals - only ash. Shut air to only 3/4 down last night. With 20* and 25mph northern wind...it musta been a drafting fool!

Status
Not open for further replies.