First Holzhausen stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

Mar 14, 2008
Northern Michigan
I found some dried, c/s wood which was for sale due to their shifting to a pellet stove. I offered them 100 bucks for it and they accepted. It took two trips with my trailer to get it. Well dried and ready to burn but the woodshed is already full so decided to try the hh style stack so I wouldn't have to use stakes. Worked well and I did add a couple of half circles to each side, filling up the pallets. Stacked the original last evening till dark. This morning we (wife and I) picked up the second trailer and stacked it. Not all of it is in the hh since I ran out of pallet room. I think I will stack all my outside wood in this manner which makes no need for stakes for the rows. A tarp can be easily thrown over it, brought down the sides however far you want, and strapped off easily by running a band around the stack. I may burn this hh stack this winter, leaving the wood stacked in the shed for another year.

There are 5 rows in the shed, 18 feet long by 6 feet high
317183562_YqeQm-M.jpg

First load last evening. We stacked till 9pm, then lit the brats fire and sat outside enjoying it and and a beer.
The trailer bed is 8x16 feet.
317183266_iuyT7-M.jpg

The small stack in front on the ground is what needs trimming or further splitting.
317182046_SPzij-M.jpg

317181584_5wk3P-M.jpg

Todd said:
What a great score! That's over 5 cords for $100?

Thanks Todd, it would be 5-6 face cords and probably 2 full cords. Still not a bad price for this area. We can usually get it deliverd for $45.00 a face cord. I had to pick this up at their place which means I did the handling and should make some for that since the handling and hauling is most of the price of wood. The wood itself isn't worth a whole lot.

carl great score. Man for a hundered buck you can beat that with a stick. Is this your first time with the hh When I did mine for the first time it fell over for some reason it started leaning after the first month but now I think I got it together .Do you have wood on the in side of that hh.If you stack wood on the inside and build the middle higher than the out side and your last two row are pitching to the out side most of the water will run off like a roof .I diid mine this way and I got old bark from the out side to the middle used it like shingles THis way I dont need a tarp and the wood stays pretty dry When old man winter come and when start to take it down Ill get the old tarp out. So how do you like the hh.Its kind a fun and it looks great to the eye of the beholder and my wife even came out to help restack it when it feal over she allso started and hh on her owen with pine so she most like it or she wouldnt have done it
Ha what kind of wood did you score

Burd said:
carl great score. Man for a hundered buck you can beat that with a stick. Is this your first time with the hh When I did mine for the first time it fell over for some reason it started leaning after the first month but now I think I got it together .Do you have wood on the in side of that hh.If you stack wood on the inside and build the middle higher than the out side and your last two row are pitching to the out side most of the water will run off like a roof .I diid mine this way and I got old bark from the out side to the middle used it like shingles THis way I dont need a tarp and the wood stays pretty dry When old man winter come and when start to take it down Ill get the old tarp out. So how do you like the hh.Its kind a fun and it looks great to the eye of the beholder and my wife even came out to help restack it when it feal over she allso started and hh on her owen with pine so she most like it or she wouldnt have done it
Ha what kind of wood did you score

Thank you Burd. It was mostly oak with a few pieces of iron wood and maple. The owner of the wood thought there was 2.5 cords but after we got it loaded and home it was more than that. I based my offer on that amount and think I will give them another 40 bucks so it is more fair. They are on my mail route which is how I found it.

I like the hh stacks and will do them with all of my wood as I get it. No end poles or fancy stacking to do. I did fill the middle and the outsides are leaning in quite a bit. Hope it doesn't fall over but who knows. If it does I can restack it. After the first half was up I could see improvement in my stacking as I learned how it was supposed to be. It is under some large pines and the rain doesn't get in there much. I doubt I will cover it till late fall or winter. I think we have 3-5 years of wood ahead and will know more after our first winter of burning with the new epa stove.

This was my first try at a hh and I can now see how to do it so the next one will be much better although I think this one will be ok. In measuring it there is 2 full cords in the stack. I did get a couple of other stack between the trees besides the hh.

Holy smokes Carl, you got quite a wood stash there..I got to try this HH deal myself....well done!

Carl you have a nice set up! The wood scrore was good too! Keep up the good work! Now I have to figure out how to get the little lady out there to help me!

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
Holy smokes Carl, you got quite a wood stash there..I got to try this HH deal myself....well done!

I will know more after this winter how long it will last. I am hoping I have at least 4 years of wood ahead now. The hh stacks are great in my opinion. I just started another one with more wood I found. In a month or so the wood man I ordered a triaxle from should show up with 6 cords of logs if he can get the wood. With that I will feel I have enough ahead and can get just one years worth each year after that.

Carl, you're just an incorrigible show-off. Stop stacking wood and go cook some brats and have a cold beer. :lol: Rick

fossil said:
Carl, you're just an incorrigible show-off. Stop stacking wood and go cook some brats and have a cold beer. :lol: Rick

I did that last night Rick. A fun evening. I have ran out of wood to stack for now so will have to find something else to do. Tomorrow starts another work week for us non retired folks. %-P

Carl said:
I have ran out of wood to stack for now so will have to find something else to do. Tomorrow starts another work week for us non retired folks. %-P

OK, then take down that raggedy HH and re-stack it...but don't stay up too late. :lol: Rick

I don't get it Carl--you have a nice truck, nice trailer, plenty of nice piles of wood...but no CHAPS! Get some protective gear will ya?

Todd said:
Carl,
I think you have a little more firewood than you think. If there were 5 rows each 18' long and 6' high, each row is a little over 1 cord according to the cord calculator.

www.firewoodcenter.com/testcord.shtml

Thanks Todd. I think in the shed I do have 5 cords or 15-18 FC. That is what I cut this spring in April.

The two trailer loads I just got was already dried, cut, split, and ready to burn. I think it is about 2.25 cords and that is what I stacked into the holzhausen with a little extra left over. I have started another hh with that wood but it didn't go very far.

sullystull said:
I don't get it Carl--you have a nice truck, nice trailer, plenty of nice piles of wood...but no CHAPS! Get some protective gear will ya?

I could get chaps if I wanted to but don't have any erge to have my balls hanging any lower then they are now. :)

ROTF......is that you in your aviator cutting in sandels and shorts? :)

Years ago I got a helmet for free but it was heavy, blocked my vision with the face shield, and I just didn't like it. Gave it away and never looked back. The safety equipment is nice if you use it but if you don't there is no sense in having it for mice to nest in. I think if you were constantly limbing with the saw swinging towards your lower body then chaps would be ok if you could stand the warmth of them. For me, they aren't a necessity yet but maybe when I get to be 80 and still cutting I will need them. :)

Most of my cutting is on the ground with the saw horizontal so my biggest danger would be kickback which would hit my upper body or head first. Hope it never happens but one never knows his or her fate ahead of time.

Not me in the pic. It's a friend of mine who was cutting wood like that one day when I showed up. I had to take a pic because I couldn't believe my eyes. :bug:

Carl my HH is a 7x7 And I have wood stacked in the middle and I think I have 3.25 cord buy looking at your trailer and reading your post with two trailer loads you have more in that HH then one might think.That trailer alone got to be 21/2'hx8'w x14'long and pulling loads of seasoned wood you got more then you think
Now talking about safty I got my chap and was using them in the heat and they were hot so hot my balls dropped to my knees So as a newbie I learned never to splite or cut wood in the summer time and Ill be out in the wood but my self with them chaps on in the fall weather It only take on kick back and youll be
fuc-ed out there.

Burd said:
I learned never to splite or cut wood in the summer time and Ill be out in the wood but my self with them chaps on in the fall weather It only take on kick back and youll be
fuc-ed out there.

We all have our limits. Cutting alone with a chainsaw is very dangerous and we all can accept that while still doing it. One has to access one's own risk factor and do what is an acceptable risk to himself. :)

It is still very good to know what is available and safe, before making a decision about what risks you may find acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.