First Impression -New Log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamer

Jul 15, 2008
Southern Vt
DR Dual Action Gas Log Splitter
http://www.drpower.com/power-equipm...-9-fpt-b-s-m-s-log-splitter-new.axd?reviews=1

I really liked the small footprint of this splitter.
It is also very easy to move around.
The tables on both sides are very convenient and the working height is great.
I also liked the fact that you can convert to electric.
I picked it up at the factory so it was fully assembled
Overall the assembly was OK - some missing washers and an O ring on the tank that allowed a few drops of fluid a day. Customer service is excellent. I called the factory and they mailed me new washers and a complete new assembly with a new strainer and extra O rings.

I just finished splitting 5 cords.
I kept accurate time records and it took me a total of 10.5 hours
Wood was mostly Ash (some of it was the stringiest I have ever worked with),Maple,Black Cherry and just enough twisted Apple and Elm to see how it would perform. Most of the rounds were moderate in size with the largest ones being 22"
The power was good as it split everything I had without any issues. It did not have any problems with some twisted Apple and Elm but those rounds were rather small in size ie about 8-10 ".The 2 way splitting is a little different but once you get accustomed to the method it works great.
Now time will tell how durable it is.

Reactions: Nixon
How much difference is there in cycle time from extension to contraction? There will be a difference in both time and power do to the rod displacing fluid, but I just wondered if it was noticeable.

How much difference is there in cycle time from extension to contraction? There will be a difference in both time and power do to the rod displacing fluid, but I just wondered if it was noticeable.

I didn't measure the time. In my opinion there was no noticeable difference in time or power. I did split large and ornery rounds in both directions of travel and it split them equally well. It seems to work the same in both directions.

I suppose they could be using a cylinder that has rods on both sides (like the steering cylinder on a fork truck, as an example). Then it would be equal. A standard cylinder usually retracts faster due to the cylinder shaft taking up volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.