first impression of the Harman XXV, installation to the first fire up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
Well, installation went very smooth and easy. took about a hour and half from off load to first fire. The top vent kit mated very smoothy to my simpson double wall, so installation was a snap. Most of the time was spent moving the old stove out, and hooking up the top vent kit on the xxv. Nothing really to report here, it was a basic installation with zero venting labor.

First fire up sent the smoke alarms going nuts. It fired right up, with very minimal smoke at start up. The unit got to temp, and it burned off really well.

I am completely blown away at the temp coming out of the exchanger. I can not hold my hand in front of the air for long before i have to pull away. ITs extremly hot air. I have no doubt that this stove is going to more affectively heat my space better then my wood stove. The blowers are very quite, and so far the gas is staying pretty clean. I still have not tweaked the feed rate or the combustion blower voltage. I cant see messing with something that is burning perfectly out of the box. My monometer showed weak pressure for the low setting. It was reading about .30 and the manual likes .35-.40. once again, im not going to mess with it when it seems to be working very efficiently.

Im not so sure about the gasket around the pellet hopper. If that hopper is connected to the vacuum switch then i would guess that gasket would eventually get dirty and leak air. I guess time will tell. I wish it had a maintenance free hopper system. I know that gasket is going to need replacement at some point.

Some handy tools for the top vent kit, and general installation.
ratchet set instead of nut diver to make the bolts easier to install.
power drill with a large flat bit to remove the shipping bolts.
Monometer for checking negative pressure of the unit.
mill pack to seal up some of the joints in the top vent kit collar. there where some visable gaps between the 6" flange of the kit, and the plate on the bottom that makes it like a bowl with 90* sides.

Some notes about some things i did half ass.
I did not seal any joints, they all fit very well. No smoke smell at start up, we will see how long it take for ash to accumulate.

This stove was installed on a 24' existing class A chimney that is in a insulated chase. I used the harman top vent kit with out the use of any out side air kit.

I think thats all for now. I will add more notes as they come to me.

The XXV is a great work horse and throws alot of heat when you need it.
Going on year 4 with my XXV and still love it.

You do realize we need to see pics or it didn't really happen right? ;-)

Yep, hopefully tonight i will get some photos posted. I was not in the photo taking mood last night after manhandling that mansfield out of my house lol. This morning was the warmest it has been in some time. This unit really seems to sip pellets on the low thermo mode.

Sounds like everything went well....Don't worry about the hopper...no problems with the gasket here. I just vacuum the gasket area once a week to get all the crap out of it. Be careful of the little yellow thing for the vacuum switch in the hopper..broke mine off (which is not easy to do) I dropped a wrench in there when the hopper was open. It is a pain in the you know what to replace. Although it was my fault. Enjoy the stove...there is nothing better then the XXV!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.