First leg - the Alderlea has landed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
Sometimes planning works! It took about 2 hrs. to move the Jotul out to the garage, unload the PE and get the T6 in place and hooked up. The drive up took longer than the whole process.

One interesting thing I discovered today is the diffusing effect of the top trivet. With the trivet swung closed, the stove feels gently warm if you hold your hand about 2 ft above the top (600 stove top temp). Swing the trivet out and the heat blasts off the top. Good to know if you want to bring temps up quickly.

so how is it doing overall??? is it warming the whole house?

Easily, but then it's in the mid-thirties and the sun just came out. It may have to wait until next December before I can really load her up. With all that room to work with, starting a fire is much easier and no smoke spillage at all.

Right now I'm tracking the period of meaningful heat. So far the stove seems to be consuming wood at about the rate the Jotul did. That's a little disappointing, I had hoped for an improvement with the EBT. It's been dampered all the way down since 10 am and is doing a good job at keeping the coals alive, yet holding a 550-600 stove top temp. That's hotter than the Castine with the same load of wood, but the wood is down to glowing coals at 11:30am. So burn times may be about the same with our crappy softwood, but more heat appears to be extracted.

However, this is just an observation. It's really a completely different burning experience from the narrow E/W box in the F400. With the bigger firebox I can put in much larger splits which should help extend burn times. With only two fires experience, I'm a long way from judging the stove's capabilities or getting the best performance.

Looking good... I'm only a little bit jealous.

No need to be. You, Roospike, Willhound and all we're my inspiration. I'm grateful for the patient answering of questions and great info.

Now, about that avatar. I like the PE pic so much better.

Beautiful, so glad you are happy and it all went the way you hoped. Everyone here wanted the best for you. And, Tom is a heck of a guy so its great that you got to go up there. Being out here in the East, its not so easy to get there.
Wishing you the best with this one for years and years to come!

BeGreen, are those 2 45 degree offsets above the stove. I am going to be doing this when I buy my Olympic. Do you have a "top" pic of the offsets and double wall pipe to ceiling? Just wanted to see your setup
Cheers

Yes, I'm coming directly off the stove with a 45 , a 6" splice and then the second 45. I'll post pictures in a couple days of the full setup. First I need to get a 6" length of DVL to couple the elbows. Right now I have a short piece of single wall in between them. It's solid, but not too pretty. This should all be kosher by Wed or Thursday at the latest.

How do you like the ash dump system? You will have a smaller pan on the Alderlea stoves compared to the "old school" PE line but the spring loaded trap door is the cats a$$... totaly dustless ash removal.

Also currious if you used a stove pipe adaptor for the collar to stovepipe connection or did you fit the double wall right to the collar...it can be done both ways.

BrotherBart said:
Lookin good BG. Now turn those splits N/S and turn that puppy loose.

BG" you weren`t fibbing us about those pics now were ya? When BB suggest ya turn that puppy loose, think he means it. I dunno? Didn`t look to me like that fan was turning? Come on now, let it run %-P Or in lieu, give us a moving pic. ;-)

Gunner said:
How do you like the ash dump system? You will have a smaller pan on the Alderlea stoves compared to the "old school" PE line but the spring loaded trap door is the cats a$$... totaly dustless ash removal.

Also currious if you used a stove pipe adaptor for the collar to stovepipe connection or did you fit the double wall right to the collar...it can be done both ways.

No adapter, just crimped the inserted end of the elbow.

I haven't tried the ash dump yet. It may be a few days before I need it, but it does look trick.

sonnyinbc said:
BrotherBart said:
Lookin good BG. Now turn those splits N/S and turn that puppy loose.

BG" you weren`t fibbing us about those pics now were ya? When BB suggest ya turn that puppy loose, think he means it. I dunno? Didn`t look to me like that fan was turning? Come on now, let it run %-P Or in lieu, give us a moving pic. ;-)

Patience grasshopper. Just because you've bought a Corvette, you don't need to rush out to the drag strip to be satisfied. Many cars never see over 70-75mph although they may be capable of 120mph. Who knows, I may never need to see the top end of this stove's capacity.

I did have the stove up to 600 today for a couple hours, N/S loaded and it was very well mannered. Trust me, the ecofan is been perking along, though a bit slower because it's on the trivet and not directly on the stove top. With the IR thermometer I'm reading about 400 degrees on the trivet with a 600 degree stove top. But as far as seeing the stove's full range, it's too late in the season. It will likely be next December before I run a full load of wood in it unless our spring gets even colder than it has been so far.

wow, where have i been......nice, congrats.
love that stove, I wish you well with it buddy.

Looks good!! Gunner had me about 60% leaning toward the T6, 40% for the Mansfield, and then the wife made the ultimate decision for the Mansfield. I'm going to pick it up today. Now, reading of your short experience with the T6, I'm wondering if I should have been more forceful and gone with my gut!!

Well, what's done is done. Congrats! I will need updates when it gets really cold. As for me, the Mansfield is it, whether it works or not. I can at least live vicariously through other T6 owners.

Question for ya BeGreen.

How hard do you think it would be to move this stove up a flight of stairs with a 180 turn in them?

Was going to use an appliance dolly and strip everything I could off of the stove. But it still has me worried...

Mike from Athens said:
Looks good!! Gunner had me about 60% leaning toward the T6, 40% for the Mansfield, and then the wife made the ultimate decision for the Mansfield. I'm going to pick it up today. Now, reading of your short experience with the T6, I'm wondering if I should have been more forceful and gone with my gut!!

Well, what's done is done. Congrats! I will need updates when it gets really cold. As for me, the Mansfield is it, whether it works or not. I can at least live vicariously through other T6 owners.

My wife got to decide on the F400 because I was too involved with raising the house, foundation and repairs. This time, I decided. If there are issues, I'll probably never hear the end of it, but I don't think this will be a problem. The stove is very well behaved. One good cold snap or power outage and she will be smiling.

Can someone tell me the overall dimensions of the feet for the T6? Mine has not arrived yet so I am trying to find a metal stand to set it on to raise it. If anyone has a good source, please let me know.

Thanks,

aussieblake

29.25 wide
28.75 deep
29.125 high
wt 560 #
wt stripped is 440

according to the catalogue.

d.n.f. said:
29.25 wide
28.75 deep
29.125 high
wt 560 #
wt stripped is 440

according to the catalogue.

Thank you, but I was wanting the outside dimensions of the feet, Front to Back and Side to Side.

aussieblake said:
Thank you, but I was wanting the outside dimensions of the feet, Front to Back and Side to Side.

I get 22.25" Front to Back and 27.5" Side to Side OD of the feet. Be sure to add a little safety factor. I would also bolt the stove to the platform and the platform to the floor if this is the plan.

d.n.f. said:
Question for ya BeGreen.

How hard do you think it would be to move this stove up a flight of stairs with a 180 turn in them?

Was going to use an appliance dolly and strip everything I could off of the stove. But it still has me worried...

I think you might want to hire a piano mover :). Seems like it will be a bear. To reduce weight, you will need to do a fair amount of unbolting. The door and trivets don't just lift off. But maybe with the door, top (including trivets) and sides off the weight will be manageable. We had four bodies on the stove in full dress and did not lift it for more than about 10 seconds from the palette to the hearth. That was enough for me to feel it the next day.

BeGreen said:
d.n.f. said:
Question for ya BeGreen.

I think you might want to hire a piano mover :). Seems like it will be a bear. To reduce weight, you will need to do a fair amount of unbolting. The door and trivets don't just lift off. But maybe with the door, top (including trivets) and sides off the weight will be manageable. We had four bodies on the stove in full dress and did not lift it for more than about 10 seconds from the palette to the hearth. That was enough for me to feel it the next day.

I second this idea, Hire a mover. Let four big movers get it up there. Your back and home will thank you for the rest of your life.

Crap.

Narrow stairs that reverse on themselves.

Might wait cause I am building a straight up stairs to my outside deck which will then work.

Thanks for the advanced chiropractor warning.

Hey BeGreen, Congrats !! I haven't been on the site for a couple of weeks and had no idea you were getting an Alderlea. I think you'll be quite pleased with it. Mine's been burning great and keeping me quite cozy. In fact, now I'm spoiled. Temps get below 72-73* and I start chuck'n wood into the stove LOL

I've found it's a very clean burning stove. I've been burning my T6 since 1/20. I think I've used my LP gas furnace a total of MAYBE 1-2 hrs since then :) . Last week I disconnected a section of stove pipe to take a look up the chimney. Just about zip for build up. I burn real hot on start ups for about 30 minutes, then shut down the air supply. Heats the house up quick, and I think the hot start ups help keep creasote down.

Anyways, congrats again !!

JFK said:
BeGreen, are those 2 45 degree offsets above the stove. I am going to be doing this when I buy my Olympic. Do you have a "top" pic of the offsets and double wall pipe to ceiling? Just wanted to see your setup
Cheers

Here's a close up of the final. Note the lovely offset in the factory 45 at the top. I had to cheat a bit because somehow, someone in Simpson let a 45 elbow go out of the factory this way. (They're not adjustable.) I compensated in the straight coupler, but it meant I couldn't use the factory aligned holes in the pipe. Grrrr.

Attachments

• April08-007web.jpg
    April08-007web.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 247
  • April08-009web.jpg
    April08-009web.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 243
Status
Not open for further replies.