First legit scrounge :) - wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharkin

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Holliston, MA USA
So thanks to Irene Ive got my first decent scrounge load... This tree came done in my neighbors yard and they said I could take whatever I wanted. Once its all split and stacked I figure its a bit over a face cord...

Neighbor thinks its some sort of Locust - thoughts? Thick bark, greenish hue to the wood, a bit of a sour odor as you cut it. Its heavy but very easy splitting. Fiskars goes through it like butter.

Also noticed that a lot of folks dumped logs at the town recycling center (they chip them into mulch). Word is you can take whatever you want - just no cutting on the lot. hmmmm ;)

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 610
  • splits.jpg
    splits.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 610
Going to be hard to beat your first scrounge with black locust. Highest return, lowest cost wood in my stacks. Take as many as you can that look like that!

Man, a lot of black locust going around this year! Enjoy the BTUs!

Shallow roots, can't take the extreme rain causing them to topple.

gzecc said:
Shallow roots, can't take the extreme rain causing them to topple.
Bingo! This area is like a locust graveyard. And jharkin, well done my man.

It won't get better than this - Black Locust.

Rookie or not Thats BIG!

Thanks guys.... How about this to really make you sick ...

The tree was a leaner that came down a week or so after the storm. We were looking at and I said I'd help cut it up for a share of the wood - neighbor says just take it all (they have a stove but don't burn much, older retired couple who travel often). Anyway I told them I'd come around later in the month - we have 9 month olds so not a lot of time on my hands.. Long story short, I had to go away for a week on business and when I come home what do I find? Half that tree cut into 4 ft logs sitting in my drive!

Hows that for good neighbors!

Those sound like great neighbors - maybe there's something you can do for them in return! Congrats on the BL - I got my first BL this year also - can't wait to burn it but I'm waiting for colder weather.

They know if they ever need wood to just come grab some off my stacks. I definitely owe them a big one.. We are the kind of neighbors that do each other favors often - I watch there place when they are away and they watch ours in turn, I cleared his drive during one of the blizzards when they were out of town and they let us use their roof rake when we had ice dams, etc... Great neighbors.

What a coincidence...I also just cut up some BL from my brother-in-law that toppled in the last ice storm here in upstate NY. The base of the tree is larger than my 20" chainsaw bar. I will post pics on this thread tonight. I never burned locust before, can't wait to try it this winter.

great score.

its a pleasure to split too. especially with that fiskars.

That's the good stuff. this seems to be the year of the Black Locust! I have scrounged about 5 cords of it since March.

Here are two pics of the Locust I am cutting up. Can't wait to burn it this winter.

Wow, that's quite a Locust score! There are a lot of btu's in those pictures!

Blueflame,
I'd be cautious trying to burn fresh split locust this year. I started splitting my pile and its checking at 38% on the moisture meter. I'd give it a year...

jharkin said:
Blueflame,
I'd be cautious trying to burn fresh split locust this year. I started splitting my pile and its checking at 38% on the moisture meter. I'd give it a year...

You are probably right, and I will wait till next year.

:) BTW nice work on that trunk. Tree I cut is a baby by comparison.

Thx jharkin. Waiting to get my big saw back from the shop to finish the job.

blueflame75 said:
Thx jharkin. Waiting to get my big saw back from the shop to finish the job.

BL, you have quite a nice score there too. The base is in rough shape but the middle/upper sections look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.