First load of oak tonight!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
It's not really cold tonight, but the wind chill is supposed to get us to 15. Throw the first snow of the year into the mix and I figured why not...

Bringing in about 2cf of oak is a much different animal than silver maple and cherry. I forgot how heavy it was!

Matt

No sooner did I post this than the 4yo called out from her bed... "Nosebleed!"

Winter's here I guess. The humidifier is now filled up and turned on. And I turned down the 30 as the splits had caught.

Fun, Fun, Fun!

Matt

I got some Mulberry going tonight. That's some hot stuff. Doesn't burn as long as oak though.

I have two cords of mulberry and I love that wood. tonight I have 4 splits going and it's a nice 78 degrees. I should get about 9 to 10 hrs burn time from those splits. before I go to bed I think I will throw on a oak split on top.

The snowplow just went by!
It did here too. I only put 5 splits in the stove 23 here snow showers and wind chill of 16. Just to tried and lazy to really fill the stove;sick

I've been burning oak but mostly my smaller odd shaped splits, tonight I put some monster splits in the stove, we only had squalls that whitened the ground, no plowing necessary.

I just reloaded with soft maple. There were plenty of coals left. It's 16 now, so it got colder last night.

There are some things that still make me groan about the 30, but the amount of heat it puts out and the burn time isn't one of them.

Matt

I filled the stove for the first time this year but it was all ash. Still big coal bed in morning even though we slept late.

Status
Not open for further replies.