first load update S/S

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatisup02

Feb 3, 2012
MI
Well I got my first load from that local tree trimmer. What do you think, about 1 cord?

Attachments

• IMG_20120217_165930-1.jpg
    IMG_20120217_165930-1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 664
jeff_t said:
A cord is a fair guess. Silver maple?

He did say it was maple. I can't ID my trees yet. So you tell me? Lol

1/2 -2/3 maybe. Big rounds can be decieving.
S/S it and post another pic.
keep the guessing game going until then.
Good wood score is the fella charging you much?

BASOD said:
1/2 -2/3 maybe. Big rounds can be decieving.
S/S it and post another pic.
keep the guessing game going until then.
Good wood score is the fella charging you much?

$60 a load. But if its only 1/2 cord then we will be talking about that price. Pine and things like that are free. He's dropping 5 walnut trees and after he takes the "good" logs to the mill I should be getting 10 more loads.

Hmmm. $60 for a load of not so primo wood that he needs to get rid of anyway. Not saying it should be free, but you can probably do better.

Sure looks like silver maple. If it is it will split easy even when wet. I'm guessing maybe a 1/4 to 1/3 cord once split and stacked. Pretty pricey for that.

About a cord, Maple, and 60 bucks is a good deal.
Get it split and stacked and let us know what i comes out to.

Downside, all dif lengths.
Not sure if he will oblige, but maybe ask him to cut closer to lengths you need.

I thought maple was a "good" wood?

If his loads are around 1 cord then that's as cheap as I can find it around here. It would cost me that much in gas to get it myself. No truck = lots of trips

Keep the guesses coming ill start work on it tomorrow if I get out of work at a decent time.

I'll throw my guess in at 3/4 cord. Nice to have it dumped at your feet but I don't like paying for wood at all. Not saying you shouldn't pay for it at times but around here, the tree guys that don't process it themselves have to pay to dump it at the recycle center where they grind it up and make mulch. If it's not out of their way, some of them will give it away so they don't have to pay.

Please do let us know how much it stacks up to be.

I'll guess 3/4 to 1 cord. Hard to tell how deep the pile is from a picture. Silver Maple is not bad, not as good as Sugar Maple but most times better than Red Maple. It does burn nice and gives good heat. If you have to pay for it from the tree service I would not give any more than that since you still have a lot more work to do. Overall though next winter you will be keepin warm by a toasty fire and the few bucks you paid will be water under the bridge.

whatisup02 said:
I thought maple was a "good" wood?

If his loads are around 1 cord then that's as cheap as I can find it around here. It would cost me that much in gas to get it myself. No truck = lots of trips

Keep the guesses coming ill start work on it tomorrow if I get out of work at a decent time.
Maple is a good wood. But there are different kinds of maple. Silver and red maple are a lighter wood when dry, they burn hot but fast, like pine. Sugar and norway maple is much better. It is denser, burns hot, and lasts a lot longer, kinda like white oak. Your wood is definately silver or red maple. That price isn't too bad, but I see a cord of cut and split wood in our area (mixed oak, locust, maple, cherry, etc) go for 120 bucks. Looks to me like you got around 1/2 to 2/3 cord there, but it's all silver maple and it's NOT split. That looks more like a 30 dollar load of wood, not to mention (as Hogwildz stated) the mixed lengths. Try to work something out with the tree guy. I cut trees on the side and wood that I don't want to deal with (katalpa, pine and willow) I sell to guys with OWB's. I charge gas money (literally a heaping trailer load, easily over a cord/cord and a half) for 20 to 40 bucks. Thats not for the wood, thats for me loading it and transporting it. So see if you can work out a better deal.....doesn't hurt to try.

whatisup02 said:
Well I got my first load from that local tree trimmer. What do you think, about 1 cord?

It's hard to tell by the picture but I would guess that is less than one cord, get it split & stacked so you have the exact number before your next load.

Looks good.

Zap

Maple ain't bad at all, I just hate all the ash it leaves.

I will post how much it is when I get it done. That was just my first load and the price can change or I can find someone else. Around here 150-180 is the going rate for 1 cord to your house. Most people want $45-60 a face and you pick it up. Thanks for all the reply

I should ask. How does walnut "stack" up to say oak?

whatisup02 said:
I will post how much it is when I get it done. That was just my first load and the price can change or I can find someone else. Around here 150-180 is the going rate for 1 cord to your house. Most people want $45-60 a face and you pick it up. Thanks for all the reply

Here is a BTU chart. As you can see the silver is on par with doug fir which has held true in my experience. Walnut is a bit higher but still not oak. As far as I'm concerned wood is wood and I will burn it all. The species depend on what I pay. I wouldn't go out of my way or pay for anything less than pine.

rwhite said:
whatisup02 said:

Here is a BTU chart. As you can see the silver is on par with doug fir which has held true in my experience. Walnut is a bit higher but still not oak. As far as I'm concerned wood is wood and I will burn it all. The species depend on what I pay. I wouldn't go out of my way or pay for anything less than pine.

I don't see a BTU chart.

Several BTU charts can be seen by Google search on "firewood BTU". Interesting that between one chart and another, the values vary somewhat for a given species. The charts are good at showing the relative BTU between species.

Well I got it all S/S. 1 1/3 cord or 5 face. Not to bad if I say so. I think it was $60 well spent. It was almost all maple with some oak in there.

Attachments

• IMG_20120218_180640-1.jpg
    IMG_20120218_180640-1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 311
WOW! you've been busy if that first picture was taken yesterday. Certainly looks like $60 worth when it's all split and stacked doesn't it. Like someone else said, next year when you are burning it, you won't even think about the money you spent. Good start on your supply, now go do it a few more times but hopefully for less money... free is even better. Once you get a couple of years ahead, you can afford to wait on the free stuff and if you keep your eyes and ears open and get the word out, believe me, the free stuff will come your way.

Good Work.. :)

whatisup02 said:
Well I got it all S/S. 1 1/3 cord or 5 face. Not to bad if I say so. I think it was $60 well spent. It was almost all maple with some oak in there.

That will go a lot farther than $60 worth of any other fuel. If that is almost all maple you should be able to use it next fall as well.

WoodpileOCD said:
WOW! you've been busy if that first picture was taken yesterday. Certainly looks like $60 worth when it's all split and stacked doesn't it. Like someone else said, next year when you are burning it, you won't even think about the money you spent. Good start on your supply, now go do it a few more times but hopefully for less money... free is even better. Once you get a couple of years ahead, you can afford to wait on the free stuff and if you keep your eyes and ears open and get the word out, believe me, the free stuff will come your way.

Good Work.. :)

I went over to the neighbor and help him split a cord of his wood and he brought his spliter over and we did mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.