first load update S/S

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
whatisup02 said:
...1 1/3 cord or 5 face...

Wouldn't 1 1/3 cord be 4 face? Or are we once again using the elastic face cords? %-P

fossil said:
whatisup02 said:

Wouldn't 1 1/3 cord be 4 face? Or are we once again using the elastic face cords? %-P

Lol.
"4-5".. its been long day. Worked 8 hours and s/s a little over 2 cords with help

In any case, it's a good looking load of firewood, and (as we all understand here) a boatload of work. I'd pay $60 for that load of wood any day of the week. I'd call it a more than fair deal. Nice job. Rick

fossil said:
whatisup02 said:

Actually, does it not depend on the split length?

24" = 2 face cord to a cord or each is a 1/2 cord
12" = 4 face cord to a cord
16" = 3 face cord to a cord

This is why I go by a full cord. I stack 2 rows of 16" to 18" to a pallet x 2 pallets x avg 6-7' high, just over a cord per

Hogwildz said:
...Actually, does it not depend on the split length?...

Of course it does, Bro. I always just assume 16" for the sake of estimating. Like you, I don't deal in face cords, either...but in some regions of the country they routinely do (have for generations) and they seem to get along just fine with it. We've had this discussion so many times I really can't imagine what's to be gained by getting into it all over again (sorry I commented on it). The OP got a bunch of wood, no matter how you slice it. Rick

fossil said:
Of course it does, Bro. I always just assume 16" for the sake of estimating. Like you, I don't deal in face cords, either...but in some regions of the country they routinely do (have for generations) and they seem to get along just fine with it. We've had this discussion so many times I really can't imagine what's to be gained by getting into it all over again (sorry I commented on it). The OP got a bunch of wood, no matter how you slice it. Rick

We have? :lol: I stack in cords out back but I'd be shocked if they were actually that. They're 24' long, 4' high or so with lengths anywhere from 14-18 inches. I try to stay in the 16" range but if I have a choice between two 14's or a 16 and a 12 the two 14's will get cut. I know I'm not the only one with varying lengths in my stacks!

To the OP, silver maple is a good wood imo, I burned up about 3/4 of a cord to start the season off.(couple cords last season as well) The price is right, I would get a bunch of those loads. I wish I had more of it right now since burning my oak or ash seems like a sin with the warm winter we've had. What part of Michigan are you in? I'm in Northeast Oakland County.......

The "face cord" topic again. LOL :lol:
Nice score, regardless how much it is, It's a good score with free delivery :)

whatisup02 said:
Well I got it all S/S.
Good job!
I'm thinking that you'll be burning that stack this Fall so you shouldn't have to worry too much about the wood punking out, but normally you'd want to avoid having it in contact with the ground.
I got to thinking today that I could use some of these dead Sassafras as runners, like Dennis does on some of his stacks. Lay two of them on the ground side by side and stack on them instead of messing with pallets. Seems like they don't rot too fast when they're lying around in the woods, so they might work pretty well.

Hogwildz said:
fossil said:
whatisup02 said:

Actually, does it not depend on the split length?

24" = 2 face cord to a cord or each is a 1/2 cord
12" = 4 face cord to a cord
16" = 3 face cord to a cord

This is why I go by a full cord. I stack 2 rows of 16" to 18" to a pallet x 2 pallets x avg 6-7' high, just over a cord per

That stack is 32ft long 6ft high and each peice is from 14"-20"

rdust said:
fossil said:
What part of Michigan are you in? I'm in Northeast Oakland County.......

I'm in Eaton County, between Sunfield-Charlotte

Woody Stover said:
whatisup02 said:
Well I got it all S/S.
Good job!
I'm thinking that you'll be burning that stack this Fall so you shouldn't have to worry too much about the wood punking out, but normally you'd want to avoid having it in contact with the ground.
I got to thinking today that I could use some of these dead Sassafras as runners, like Dennis does on some of his stacks. Lay two of them on the ground side by side and stack on them instead of messing with pallets. Seems like they don't rot too fast when they're lying around in the woods, so they might work pretty well.

It will be put on pallets. But I didn't have any and wanted it done to see what I had.

Wow - the photo of the rounds was deceiving. I would say that is a great score and if you can get that quality or better per load keep them coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.