First Milling Results - Cherry Slab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GolfandWoodNut said:
Thistle, are you saying you just use a circular saw to cut the straight edge? That is what I was thinking, then I could run it through a router if necessary to further straighten. I am having trouble visualizing your sway though. Lol.

no no no lol.On 'regular' sized planks say 5-8ft long,I usually snap a chalkline & trim it off with wormdrive skilsaw.Shorter/lighter weight stuff I use something for a straightedge,a ballpoint pen & take it inside to the bandsaw.I like to have 1 true edge to run against bandsaw or table saw fence later on.

The sway is not complicated,hard to describe though lol. Picture yourself just bucking wood normally,watch & see how your cut & saw kerf can vary if you change position just a bit.But if feet stay same,yet upper body moves,the saw will stay in same 'plane' if that makes sense.

for air drying,place breeze dried sticks every ft starting from end to end(exactly on the end,one inch in can be too much) then place the next board of the same thickness on top and follow the exact same sticking pattern,when done get some weight spread evenly on the top row .do not dry this in the open elements it aint firewood.as for planing,someones suggestion of 6/4 to 4/4 is way off.we take stock cut an inch and 1/8 green,dry it and surface to 15/16 .your stock,if cut too 2 inch with a little over thickness,can be planed to 1 and 13 /16 ths which is standard dry surfaced thickness for 8/4 (2 inch ) lumber....

roddy said:
for air drying,place breeze dried sticks every ft starting from end to end(exactly on the end,one inch in can be too much) then place the next board of the same thickness on top and follow the exact same sticking pattern,when done get some weight spread evenly on the top row .do not dry this in the open elements it aint firewood.as for planing,someones suggestion of 6/4 to 4/4 is way off.we take stock cut an inch and 1/8 green,dry it and surface to 15/16 .your stock,if cut too 2 inch with a little over thickness,can be planed to 1 and 13 /16 ths which is standard dry surfaced thickness for 8/4 (2 inch ) lumber....

Thanks for the info. I do have a tent garage I have been storing my truck in, I think I will convert it to my lumber storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.