First night since Nov. I haven't loaded the stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I was away for a few days over the holidays where the stove went cold, since then I've had a fire every night. It doesn't feel right looking at the stove without a fire going, I'm fighting with everything I've got not to have at least a small fire! :lol:

Would you believe it is just past mid-night and I have the outside door open. Nice breeze out there tonight. It got up to the low 80's here today. No fires going here but might be by the weekend due to the forecast.

Shari

rdust, we beat you. We've gone 3 or 4 nights w/o a fire now. Amazing for this time of the year. Fear not though, we'll be back to heat again very soon.

Still burning . . . had the windows open yesterday . . . but lit a small fire in the evening to take a bit of chill out of the room. Temps are supposed to be wicked warm tomorrow . . . may be the first non-fire day!

This has been the first 24 hours without a fire going in my stove too, since......hmmm, sometime last October?

I woke up this morning and my wife actually had a small fire going in the stove. The lower level of the house was 68 and she was chilly, I looked at her like she was crazy since the upper level of the house was still 74* from yesterdays heat. She said she'd open a window if she was too warm, who am I to argue. :lol:

No fire in the stove. Ah, the first signs of spring.
It's been 2 days for us so far. I think I'm having withdrawal symptoms. Maybe it's just the coffee.
The forecast is for lower temps to resume in the next few days, so yeah, the stove is not done.
Soon though, ....very soon.

We'll be sending you some chills. 40°F rainy and now 3 days burning 24/7. Admitted the mid-day fire is nothing but glowing coals, but we are burning and chewing through about 10 good sized splits a day.

rdust said:
I woke up this morning and my wife actually had a small fire going in the stove. The lower level of the house was 68 and she was chilly, I looked at her like she was crazy since the upper level of the house was still 74* from yesterdays heat. She said she'd open a window if she was too warm, who am I to argue. :lol:

I sometimes think during this time of year it's a psychological comfort issue . . . it may be warm outside, but our minds are still in winter mode and we're associating being comfortable and cozy with a fire going in the stove . . . I know I sometimes think I should have a fire going in the evening until I look at the thermostat and realize that it's still 70 degrees or more.

Speak for yourself Jake, ole buddy ole pal. After sweating the last several days and also being able to ride my bike without being dressed like an Eskimo, I am no longer in winter mode! I know we'll get much cooler weather yet but it can't warm up fast enough to suit me now. I'm ready for warm weather to stay!

My stove has been cold since Monday. It's looking more and more like I'll be moving the wood in the garage outside
again. 80 degrees today. Last night, the first mosquitoes were out.

Haven't burned much since March 1. Been conserving since I am low, but it hasn't been that cold either. Therms are set at 60 and when it is sunny, we get good solar gain during the day. If it is going below 35 and feeling cold at night, I light the stove. Took 1/2 cord of 4 year seasoned oak from my father in law and I have used about half. I will burn a little more and I have a bunch of chunks and other scrap to burn for that stray night in May when it goes below 40. Haven't felt that I have suffered much by not burning much this month though. 4 cords up the chimney this year. Second year burning and I was horny to start using the stove, so I started burning in October when I probably didn't have to. Lesson learned.

Thought I would get 24 hours without a fire this weekend . . . Saturday was nice and warm . . . not too cold, not too hot . . . nice day to move some wood in the woods and bring it out to an area to process at a later date (this is my 2011-2012 or 2012-2013 wood). However, as warm as it was, clear nights meant for a cool night . . . lit a fire on Saturday night . . . and another one Sunday morning . . . and again today when my wife woke up out of a sound sleep since she heard the oil boiler running.

We are supposed to flirt with 90 degrees Wed. and Thurs. and then drop off again. If it dips down around freezing Fri. and Sat. nights as forecast Brownie will be lighting off again.

48 degrees and raining. House is 65. I'm lighting it up. Heat is good.

92 degrees today. Thirty degrees over average. I was looking for 4th of July fireworks to go off all day.

The global be warming I think.

northwinds said:
48 degrees and raining. House is 65. I'm lighting it up. Heat is good.

x2, house is 66, just threw some kindling in the stove to get it ready for some small splits.

Damp and cool. My wife mentioned it was cool in the house earlier, so I lit a fire. Still going too. Think I'll add some before bed, then again in the morning, since the temps are due to stay cool the next 2-3 days.
Warming and more sun for the weekend. WooHoo! :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.