First night with out a fire since October.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redburn

Mar 2, 2009
Southern Ct
This is my first night without a fire since October , I'm kinda tired of it by now but the only motivation I need is to hear the furnace kick on to light it up...

Same here. And it is getting a little chilly. I think my wife is taking bets on how much longer I can keep my hands off of a Super Cedar.

74 in here right now but I know I'm going to want to reload before bed. It's supposed to drop to 33 tonight according to accuweather but it's darn near 50 right now.

Nice low burn going, no kindling required.

I still have the stove going. For some weird reason my house is cooler when the outside temps hit 50 than 25-30?? Weird? I just reloaded for the night.

After organizing my wood pile, last night I pledged to be a little more frugal with my wood supply . This moring my wife woke up to a 65 degree house and punched me right in the face.

The room is currently 82 degrees.

its 60 outside , my wife's in bed sick with the chills and wants the house warm.so I've got the stove lit and its 74 in here now and climbing . need to get one of those hot lamps in the bathroom for these rare occasions when one of us is not well, pete

42 degrees outside, just fired up a load for overnight, still had a couple coals left over from 5:30 this morning, no match needed :)

Hmmmm, does that give me a 15 hour burn time?

ansehnlich1 said:
42 degrees outside, just fired up a load for overnight, still had a couple coals left over from 5:30 this morning, no match needed :)

Hmmmm, does that give me a 15 hour burn time?

as long as you never see temps below 42 degrees

When I came home a bit ago it was 39....and the wife had the fire going. Nice.

I do not ever expect to not have a night fire until sometime in April. Last year it seemed like it was June before it happened.

And today I saw the first robins and red-winged blackbirds arrive. Spring is here!

Still going here. The cat stove really shines in the shoulder season. A small load in the am and it runs all day at about 275 and then a full load at night when we need a little more. The whole house just stays nice and cozy. I told my wife to open a window if it gets too warm during the day. The heat is free and its nice to get some outside air through the house.

Sunday night we didnt have a fire, it was warm sunday (mid fiftys, and it was warm on monday mid fiftys) but over night sunday it got cold, monday night the basement was at about 57 and it was nice to fire her back up again. probably keep burning hot at night and let it die during the day, until the temps are above 40 at night. then i will probably just be cold or use the electric heat as nessasary.

Still going strong here too . . . but it's nice to just have a morning fire and then let it die out and do another fire for the evening . . . I go through more kindling this way . . . but I'm saving a lot of wood for next year.

We hit middle 70's today so I let it go out for the first time in months. Tonight is suppose to be in the 60's so I do not think I will light one tonight. It is nice to have all of the windows open and the spring air smell in the house

It's still going below 0C at nights around here, so we've just been burning a log or two during the day, but a good load first thing and before bed. (I like a good load first thing in the morning) ;) Plus we've now gotten totally spoiled with having the temp above 72 in the LR we just want to keep it that way for a while longer

69 in the house now and just lit a fire so we can open the windows to draw in some fresh air. dogs worked up a big stink playing tonight. I'm 3 years ahead now with the 2 cord of red oak i brought home the past couple weeks. nice to be able to burn at will!

If someone opened a window in this house, they would have some explaining to do to the guy who keeps it warm. And its not because we are short on wood.

SolarAndWood said:
If someone opened a window in this house, they would have some explaining to do to the guy who keeps it warm. And its not because we are short on wood.

I'll bite...why?

Turning the thermostat/blowers down on the stove doesn't mean I need to process more wood, opening windows does. I have no problem processing as much wood as necessary to keep the family happy but windows open with the stove going isn't right. That was life with the old stove.

Its a treat to do in the spring. kinda nice to
do things not out of necessity sometimes.

woodzilla said:
Its a treat to do in the spring.

I heard ya...not spring here quite yet although I was out framing in a t-shirt today instead of many layers of polypro and gore on top.

Got a nice little two split E/W fire going right now. Sixty and sunny working outside today was great. Coming in to sixty five in the house was not.

I didnt burn last night either. let the insert cool off and gave it a good cleaning this afternoon. spent the morning hours getting contracts signed and the afternoon boiling down some maple sap and splitting for 2011-2012. My driveway looks like a lumber yard. It was nice working outside the past 2 days in 60* weather but Im not looking forward to shaving my beard off this spring!

When I came in from working outside the house was 62*....had to light up a small fire to get it comfortable again. Im probably going to have an overnight burn tonight so i dont have to start from scratch in the morning to take the chill off. I hate fussing around with paper, sticks and matches..give me hot glowing red coals any time.

Don't mean to convey cold water onto the "It's Spring!" party, but I wouldn't get out the tank tops and flip-flops just yet, y'all! There are still a few systems lined up off the NW coast that are capable of messing up your Bacchanalian romp in the meadows! I know you've had a time of it, but after a few days in the 60s we had snow yesterday with highs in the 30s. Today back to 60s. I've learned that just because the sandhills and geese have gone back north and the forsythia bush is in bloom, THEY don't always make the right decisions either. I for one do HOPE it is spring, but until April gets here, I don't assume it will be spring.

SolarAndWood said:
Turning the thermostat/blowers down on the stove doesn't mean I need to process more wood, opening windows does. I have no problem processing as much wood as necessary to keep the family happy but windows open with the stove going isn't right. That was life with the old stove.

Well, I guess that conditions are different for everyone. I have a 1500SF home (two stories) and I have to open a window in the stove room often to keep the temps under control. I really enjoy staying warm and having a Spring-like flow of fresh air through the house during the Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.