First oak firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsWS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2011
U.P. Michigan
Found an ad on Craigslist last night for oak that was cut, split and stacked 2 1/2 years ago. $60 per face cord. Called first thing this morning. He had 4 cords left. It was an hour one way and I would have to rent a trailer ($26 for the day). I took my axe and moisture meter along. Split a few of the larger pieces and found the moisture at 20 -23% range. I was satisfied as the maple I have now is measuring 16 - 23%. The stacks were about 5' high by 8 foot long so I was satisfied with the deal. I could only fit 3 of the large cords in the back of the truck and trailer. They are now stacked in neat rows in my garage. I think I have enough wood for the rest of the winter now. A nice feeling. I will start on next years supply soon.

Good deal and well done!

Do you have next year's wood lined up yet? Or is that still in the process too?

Deals as good as what you found today are certainly the exception, not the rule.

Certainly a rare find for oak. Let us know what you think of it as you use it some when compared to the maple.

I've forever burned a mix of woods, mostly beech, maple, ash, cherry. This is my first year of having almost exclusively one type of wood, locust. It's a whole new experience. Some of it for the good, some for the pain in the rear, but I'll wait to pass judgement until I clean the chimney somewhere around Christmas and New Years.

pen

Sounds like you have done well Bill. Get it before the snow gets deep.

Nice one and a good price. The only thing I would have done different was go back and get it all.;lol

Reactions: Beer Belly
Good deal and well done!

Deals as good as what you found today are certainly the exception, not the rule.

Certainly a rare find for oak. Let us know what you think of it as you use it some when compared to the maple.

I've forever burned a mix of woods, mostly beech, maple, ash, cherry. This is my first year of having almost exclusively one type of wood, locust. It's a whole new experience. Some of it for the good, some for the pain in the rear, but I'll wait to pass judgement until I clean the chimney somewhere around Christmas and New Years.

pen

So far I am liking it. I keep the stove dampered at low setting, so I didn't notice any difference last night.

Sounds like you have done well Bill. Get it before the snow gets deep.

Snowing now Dennis. Puts the motivation in high gear.

Nice one and a good price. The only thing I would have done different was go back and get it all.;lol

Paulywalnut, I laughed out loud at your reply. Today I want back to get the rest of my wood. The other two cords that were "spoken for" were still there. I said "if the other guy doesn't come and get those two, call me I'll take them." He said you can take one of them today, I have some in the back (wetter) that he can take. I asked him about the racks he had made from 2 x 4's and he sold me 4 of them for $10. EXCITED! This will get me started on next years supply for sure, and I even have racks. The only downside? I couldn't get the whole 5th cord on the truck and trailer, so I have one more trip to make to get the last half of the 5th cord. ;lol

And just a cool end to the visit, just as I was getting ready to go, I looked behind the guy and there were about 15 huge turkeys. I said "holly cow, look at that" and he said watch this, and went walking toward them talking to them "tom" this and that, and went and spread out a bucnh of corn for them, and they followed him and started eating the corn. He said if I wanted I could come and harvest a tom next year. Amazing all around!

Too bad you just can't clone some people:)

Good deal and well done!

pen

Burning strictly locust? I just took delivery of a cord of locust which I had them split and cut to 12 inch lengths for my stove. The stuff apparently has been down for around twenty five years now and still looks fresh as the day it was downed. Amazing how it doesn't decay at all, and apparently a round left laying will even start it's own roots again! Anyhow, for the amount of time it has seasoned, it still can be a groan to get going, even on a hot thick bed of coals. Almost no flame, and just to turns into a black block of coal that goes for hours. I have been saving it and using it sparingly, and I think I might even give an extra year now that it is split. Never took a moisture meter to it though, but am curious what it would read.

I might even give an extra year now that it is split. Never took a moisture meter to it though, but am curious what it would read.

I think that's a good idea. This stuff was split and stacked 1.5 years last winter and I wasn't that tickled with it after trying out some for the fun of it. (some pieces were ready, others were not)

The extra has put manners on them.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.