First Overnight Impressions - Summit Insert (long post)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willhound

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2005
Northern Ontario, Canada
Finished the install last night around 8 P.M. Eastern time. (Pics and post at: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/531/ )

Lit up in the presence of the installer so that we could make sure all OK, and so he could make his own suggestions regarding lighting protocol, damper settings etc. All good stuff. Manual suggested 2 or 3 "smaller" fires with cool down times in between to cure the paint. Installer suggested that in his experience, this is more to avoid complaints regarding the vile stench from the paint curing, and less from fear of damaging the stove. A series of smaller fires with periods in between allows the fumes and stench to spread and then dissipate over time, versus all in one shot. He did warn, however, to avoid getting too carried away right off the bat to give the fire brick a chance to temper. Otherwise, his exact words were, "The stove is made to burn. Burn it".

I like a guy that doesn't mince words. :coolsmile:

After leaving the back door of the house wide open for the better part of 2 hours, the smell was down to a bearable level where eyes and throat weren't burning too much. Yeah, I know, probabley caused brain damage....but in my case, it's all relative. Looking back on it now, maybe I would have gone the slow and easy route, but on the other hand, it's over and done with and this morning everything is fine.

At 11:30 last night, filled the stove to approx. 75% with 3 large splits of white birch and one smaller split of pine. Closed the damper to the lowest setting and went to bed.

Woke up at 5:30 this morning, and although I could sense a slight temperature drop, things were still comfortable in the bedroom. Wife was a little more snuggly than usual, but hey, it's a side benefit of the wood heat that I can live with.

Went down into the family room where the insert is and found that the temp. controlled fan was still operating and that there was a very nice large pile of red-hot coals, with the occassional flame still licking up. :)
The coals were still throwing significant heat and I estimate that I could have been good for at least another few hours. Time will tell.

Opened the damper for about 10 seconds, opened the insert door and raked the coals around (most still fairly stiff) and threw in 3 more splits. Closed the damper back down and went back to bed for another hour.

House is 1900 sq. foot back split built in 1978, not perfectly insulated, but not too bad. Plasticed off some of the windows on the bottom floor.

Experienced the following temps: Outside -22C or -8 F (conversions are approx., just based on looking at the thermometer scale)

Family room downstairs/below grade (insert location) 25C or 73F
Main Floor ground level 20C or 68F
Bedrooms upstairs 18C or 66F
Sub-Basement/Laundry (below level with insert) 16C or 62F

These are all without running any ceiling fans to move air around and with the insert burning at a lower than normal setting to give it a chance to break in, and also to establish a base line/worst case scenario.

I will also likely let it burn right down today just to see how a re-light goes, and again, to give it a bit of a chance to finish curing the paint.

Willhound

congrats!! as a first year burner myself i know how great it feels to get it lit up for thr first time.

Thanks Bruce
Been burning wood for many years, but this is my first "modern" type unit and first time heating this particular structure with wood. Can't consider the previous fireplace as heating by any stretch of the imagination.

That's a pretty nice looking install that you have for an avatar shot. I assume this is your setup? What is it, it's hard to make out in the small shot.

Willhound

thanks hound..........its an earth stove 2800ht,mid 90s model. got it installed late this summer and i am very pleased with it so far.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 419
Status
Not open for further replies.