first pellet stove. cab50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bikevision

Feb 3, 2014
shelbyville, michigan
Hi everyone. Just installed a new cab50. We have been running it for 3 days so far and have used about 3 bags. So far we love it. Were only running it durning the day and using propane furnace at night. I want to cut down on propane usage. It hust cost us $1186 to fill our tank a n d last year we had it filled about once a month durning the winter at over $3500 for the year. Were renting and talked the landlord into buying the stove for us. It was that or we move out. We have a 2 story cape cod with a walkout basement. We put the stove on the main floor as to get the most direct heat in the room we use the most. With it set at med and the ceiling fan running its been between 75-80°f on the main floor according to the gas thermostat which I think is off. Im pretty sure its reafing it warmer than it really is.

We want to get more heat upstairs so I was thinking of putting a vent in the ceiling. So while I was at homo depot tonight the idea of a bathroom vent hit me. Anyone use one like this before. I know, some of you frown on ceiling vets but hey they been doing this for at least a hundred years. Im waiting on a call back from a local heating guy on either a straight vent or a ducted vent.

I read the post from the guy that ran ducts off the front of his stove and I had the same idea but seems how my stove is in our living room I want to come up with something a little softer on the eye. Im going to start with just a vent and see which direction the air is moving. If the warm air comes through the vent and the cold air comes diwn the stairs I may install either a inline fan or a bathroom vent. Would like something quite as possable.

try also running the fan so it blows down.
suck the cold air out of the upstairs room and displace/push(and pull) heat back up the stairs.
this would work best (imo) if the vent was somewhere above the stove.
a back wall away from the doorway or opening you want the heat to move through.

i'd wager a modest amount that will work better.

why run the pellet stove only in the daytime?

Last edited:
try also running the fan so it blows down.
suck the cold air out of the upstairs room and displace/push(and pull) heat back up the stairs.
this would work best (imo) if the vent was somewhere above the stove.
a back wall away from the doorway or opening you want the heat to move through.

i'd wager a modest amount that will work better.

why run the pellet stove only in the daytime?

The vent will be straight across the room from the door and right above the stove.
We havent run the stove at night cause the soon to be mother in law that lives with us is paranoid it will start a fire. She don't trust anything. Shes borderline psycho. Anyway with the stove running the furnace dosent run so shutting it down at night allows the furnace to warm the upstsirs and basement.

The vent will be straight across the room from the door and right above the stove.
We havent run the stove at night cause the soon to be mother in law that lives with us is paranoid it will start a fire. She don't trust anything. Shes borderline psycho. Anyway with the stove running the furnace dosent run so shutting it down at night allows the furnace to warm the upstsirs and basement.

She doesn't trust a proven product that burns wood inside a self contained box but ok with burning a huge amount of gas while asleep? I've heard more gas explosion accidents then pellet stove. Burn the thing at night and be done with it. Not doing so is like buying a car and just watching it sit in the driveway because you are afraid of getting in an accident.

Check local codes to see if cutting vents is allowed.

Using fans to push cold air toward the stove increases temps in the far corner of my house like 3 degrees. and it's not an open floor plan.

Tape up toilet paper above entry ways and on ceilings to see how your heat flows. I did that and "seeing" the flow helped to figure things out(where to place fans, what angle etc...)

Look at thru the wall fans. I use this one
http://www.amazon.com/Thru-Wall-Roo...1391531460&sr=8-1&keywords=thru+the+wall+fans

Not sure what a homo depot has to do with bathroom fans... Sounds more like a night club.

Reactions: mralias
Status
Not open for further replies.