first pellet stove/suggestions for extra safety features

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glassman

Nov 7, 2008
northern lower michigan
I am getting a lennox winslow pellet stove, professionally installed. I have seen some posts in here with different additional safety features. Would appreciate any opinions about any extra safety items to use on my stove, and which might be the most important,,,,,, thanks in advance

I can understand your question and concerns because I continue to ask myself the same thing and wonder if there are other ideas or gadgets out there that would help ensure the safe operation of my stove.

The best thing I can tell you is to review your owners manual over and over so that you understand everything about your stove. Take a good look at the install and ask questions. Maintenance is for me the most important thing I can do to ensure clean and efficient operation of my stove. I give mine a good cleaning every 3 days because I can but keeping the burn pot clean is a good habit.

Most importantly is the fact that you can find the answer to even what you might think are the dumbest questions here.

Happy heating!

Steve

Duct tape for the little ones.

Eric

Attachments

• 2335970556_268b822eb6.jpg
    2335970556_268b822eb6.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 403
Two good Quality carbon monoxide/smoke detectors, one in the bedroom and one in the stove room should help ease your mind.

bill

thanks for the info, I have a carbon monoxide monitor, its hooked up right next to where the pellet stove will be going. I will move it to the other side of the living room. I built this house in 94, and we have good smoke detectors with battery back up. It still seems weird that you can keep a pellet stove so close to a wall, but my buddy has proven that to me again and again, cant wait to get that in, next tues is install date. thanks again,,,,,,,ed

A good size fire extinguisher on each floor.

I am only familiar with my 25 PDVC Englander which has the hopper and blower and a lot of empty space at the bottom and rear. Rear temperature measures a bit over 100 degrees while the front is 300-400 degrees. About the same temperatures as a kitchen ovens-same cautions for children apply.

glassman said:
thanks dougsey and hd41,
I have 1 fire extinguisher downstairs, will get one more, have a 3 yr. old grandaughter too, will be careful especially with her. thanks again,,,,ed

Do you know how to USE your fire extinguisher? Does everyone in your family know how? Does everyone know where they are? Extinguishers are great, but useless unless answers to all questions above are "YES!"

Status
Not open for further replies.