First post, beginner questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asears

Nov 24, 2008
Central Ma
Hey everybody. My name is Adam and I'm a new homeowner. I'm starting to figure out what I'm going to need to do to heat my home efficiently using wood. I grew up with the comfort of a wood burning stove keeping us warm in the winter and it's important to me to have my future family share a similar experience.
Well here we go..
I recently inhereted the wood stove from my grandparents old farm house. It's a cast iron stove that uses a 6" flu pipe and has the infamous old man on the mountain embossed on the door. I was wondering if you all could help me identify it as my relatives do not remember where or when they had gotten it. I've attached a few pictures below.

Also.
Our new home is a reasonably large ranch. The footprint is about 26 x 72. It was recently updated with new windows and completely reinsulated less that two years ago so it is pretty energy efficient.
Would the stove above centrally located in the house possibly with fans to distribute the air, do a reasonable job heating the home? Or should I just stop flirting with the idea of using that stove and bone up and buy a wood furnace and duct forced hot air throughout.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
THANKS!

~ Adam

Attachments

• woodstove_1.jpg
    woodstove_1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 222
  • woodstove_2.jpg
    woodstove_2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 224
asears said:
Hey everybody. My name is Adam and I'm a new homeowner. I'm starting to figure out what I'm going to need to do to heat my home efficiently using wood. I grew up with the comfort of a wood burning stove keeping us warm in the winter and it's important to me to have my future family share a similar experience.
Well here we go..
I recently inhereted the wood stove from my grandparents old farm house. It's a cast iron stove that uses a 6" flu pipe and has the infamous old man on the mountain embossed on the door. I was wondering if you all could help me identify it as my relatives do not remember where or when they had gotten it. I've attached a few pictures below.

Also.
Our new home is a reasonably large ranch. The footprint is about 26 x 72. It was recently updated with new windows and completely reinsulated less that two years ago so it is pretty energy efficient.
Would the stove above centrally located in the house possibly with fans to distribute the air, do a reasonable job heating the home? Or should I just stop flirting with the idea of using that stove and bone up and buy a wood furnace and duct forced hot air throughout.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
THANKS!

~ Adam

as cool as that stove is, I'd get a new one for your home. Maybe you could put that old one in the barn or your shop or something??? I'm kinda new too but thats my 2 cents.

Firelion makes a good point, although that stove may do a fine job heating your new home, the new EPA certified stoves burn cleaner and heat more efficiently. Do you have an existing stove, fireplace, or chimney in the new ranch? If not, you might want to consider installing the heirloom and enjoying it's grace for a year or so (after it has been properly inspected for safety!), then possibly look at investing in a more efficient, environmentally friendly model next year. Whatever you decide, please make sure that you know what you are doing or call a qualified expert to assist with install and inspection. Good luck.

Greetings Adam and welcome, that is an interesting stove. Is there a baffle inside? What is the control on the upper right side for? As far as I can see this looks like a steel stove, not cast. That isn't necessarily bad, it looks well made.

If the stove is safely installed, it will make a difference and fans could help move the heat around. As you've noted, this is a long, narrow house. It's a tougher style to heat evenly, but with a central install, may be possible. We'd need to see a rough floorplan to help here.

Of course, a modern epa stove will likely eat less wood and will definitely burn cleaner. But if the stove is in good shape it may be worth a try.

I'd put an ad w/pics of that stove on every craigslist in New Hampshire pronto, and ask about a zillion dollars for it. Better yet, eBay, and let 'em fight over it. With the money I made from that sale, I'd get myself an appropriately sized modern efficient woodburner and do a first-class install in my home. Rick

hahaha.. Sorry it is a steel stove.. I just always have lumped all old stoves into the category of 'cast' and didn't really look at it.. Maybe I should rethink my intended major of Manufacturing Engineering ;)
I've attached a few more pictures below in response to your questions about it. The first is looking in the door and upward to the ceiling of the stove. the second is a picture of the control which is mounted on the side of the stove. Its simply a metal spring that when heated or cooled pulls a chain controlling vent opening on the bottom of the stove. I thought it was pretty neat.

great idea fossil! haha.. my wife and I got a good laugh out of that.. unfortunately the stove has some sentimental value.. including a V-shaped scar on the back of my head from when I was a child.

The chimney in the house is located in the dead center of the house, and the gas water heater is vented into a different flu (gas furnace is power-vented out of the side of the house)..
I'm thinking of cleaning it up and installing it in the living room to use on occasion while I save up the pile of money a new wood furnace will cost..

Status
Not open for further replies.