First Post - Blower Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fecrousejr

Nov 7, 2007
Triad Area, NC
I just got a fireplace insert that someone else was discarding. It is an amazingly well built custom insert that is about 20 years old. I have cleaned it up and repainted it and put it in place. However, I have not built a fire in it yet.

There is a box built on to each side of the insert. Originally there was a small squirrel cage blower in each of these, directed into the air jacket surrounding the firebox. Someone "borrowed" the blowers from this unit to repair another insert. There is nothing to size the blowers by, other than measuring and guessing at necessary CFM. The previous owner said that the old blowers were variable speend units. He said he usually kept them running on low except at night. Grainger has a variety of these type of blowers. The two that appear to fit have been discontinued. The new models that have replaced them specifically state that they cannot be used on seed controls. What appeared to fit was the 4c442 and 4c446. It appears they have been replaced by the 1TDP5 and 1TDP7. Both specifically state that they cannot be used with speed controllers.

HELP!! Anyone out there got any good ideas?

Yes. I used the 1200 degree flat black. I also "cured" the paint by building a fire in the unit in the driveway, before bringing it inside.

I have been looking for suitable squirrel cage fans for about 2 weeks now. I am ready to start getting some benefit out of this stove!

I don't see how the 4C442 has been discontinued. We have about 10,000 of them in stock. Call grainger, if you need the 442 I gurantee you they have it.

Better yet, just order a couple from Englander ;)

Corie said:
I don't see how the 4C442 has been discontinued. We have about 10,000 of them in stock. Call grainger, if you need the 442 I gurantee you they have it.

Corie - I called Grainger last week and they said the blowers are "discontinued and not in stock for shipping". When they continued to be listed on the web site, I called again today and got a similar response. You say you have 10,000 in stock. Who are you representing? How can I get in touch with you and order them from you?

Hogwildz said:

Hogwildz - Englander does show them as available, but they want $130 per blower. That is over twice the list price from Grainger. I am hoping to find some solution at about half that price.

fecrousejr said:
Hogwildz said:

Hogwildz - Englander does show them as available, but they want $130 per blower. That is over twice the list price from Grainger. I am hoping to find some solution at about half that price.

fecrousejr, it sounds like the kind of situation where you have a choice between being patient, or just spending the money. I can understand not wanting to break the bank, but it sounds like finding these blowers for ~$260 is a blessing given how expensive some of this stuff can get.

I'm a fan of the saying: "good, fast, cheap... you can only pick 2".

sixminus1 said:
[quote author="fecrousejr" date="1202805839

fecrousejr, it sounds like the kind of situation where you have a choice between being patient, or just spending the money. I can understand not wanting to break the bank, but it sounds like finding these blowers for ~$260 is a blessing given how expensive some of this stuff can get.

I'm a fan of the saying: "good, fast, cheap... you can only pick 2".[/quote]

Interesting saying, however I am just wanting to refrain from paying twice the list price. I am being patient. I have looked for two years for an insert to fit my oversized firplace. I finally found it and spent some time refurbishing it before installing it.

The blowers are worth $55-70 from "normal" channels. I just can't find any in stock right now, except form overpriced third party sources who obviously still have them in stock due to the price they are asking. ~$260 is NOT a blessing considering the total WORTH is only around $140 max.

Thanks for the input though...

Perhaps you can design an arrangement that will work, and order an appropriate fan.

When my squirrel cage fans burn out, I'm considering using a small bladed fan instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.