First Post - Boiler Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice Ash

Hearth Supporter
May 26, 2008
NH Woods
First Post: I thank the posters of this forum for offering a wealth of info and practical advice. I need some advice. I am building a home office, open concept approximately 900 sqft. floor space, cathedral ceiling, garage under, garage unheated. I was planning on putting in an oil furnace w/baseboard and using a traditional wood stove in the office space for additional heat. After reviewing this forum, I would like to “kick it up a notch”.
I looked at Tarn wood/oil multi boilers, but they appear too big for the space. I would like to have some kind of oil heat as I travel occasionally and would not always be available to stoke the fire. I cut plenty of wood, it’s free, but I’m no plumber. With that mind, any opinions on the most practical/economical system I might install in this size space along with the oil furnace. Multiboiler in place of oil furnace? EKO 25? Additional water storage? I googled Orlan EKO but couldn’t find any dealers in NH. Budget – I don’t mind spending money on quality. Would it be just as practical to stoke a good wood stove in the office? Specific manufacturers and models would be helpful, we start building shortly. I apologize for mentioning oil, and thanks.

I too have been researching the best option for a wood boiler system add on. I already have an oil furnace so tying into it with wood I still have the option of using oil for back up when not around. I,m in Central NH and burning wood has been a mandated pastime since I was old enough to pick up a stick of wood. I have researched this for about a month now and decided the Eko 25 is the ticket. I will hook up without heat storage initially then hopefully upgrade in the next two years when cash flow allows. I currently have a wood stove that sits next to my oil boiler and when the woodstove is cranking away I still have to listen to the oil burner kick on to heat the tank and domestic hotwater - it really burns me! So the logical step is to capture more heat and get domestic hot water as well, plus more efficient. There is a dealer in Greenfield NH tied to New Horizons but Cozy Heat seems to have the best current deal. Now I just need to decide wether I can do it myself or hire a good plumber. I would say plan on having both either gas and wood or oil and wood - you could always look for a used oil furnace.

900[] is small . . . figure you may use the basement for something else one day. Put pex in the basement slab. You'll be glad you did!
How much solar is available? Seems at 1800[] heated - assuming you build energy efficiently, you could probably get by on solar for part of the winter. But I guess it would be a little crazy to put in three heat systems. I am not ready to recommend anyone in the North put in new construction without some form of automated b/u heat.

But again, if you did a heat loss X max hours anticipated away X 8 X (max tank temp - min useable tenk temp) this would tell you about how big of a storage tank you would need to heat the structure with no fire. The tank may cost more than the house, but hey . . in theory, its possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.