First Post...First pellet Stove...3 days to build the hearth pad....thinking about poured conrete.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tundraSQ

Oct 7, 2006
OK...the stove is a Harmon XXV, and I just found out it arrived today and they are going to preburn it and I can pick it up during the week. I have a wood floor where the stove is going and am not likeing the looks and/or the cost of the hearthpads at the dealer. I have a 3 day weekend and am pretty handy with wood but have never worked with tile or stone. I was wondering about just mixing up some cement and pouring a pad....then paint it or finish it to look nice. I have googled all day and found nothing on this idea...but I did find this forum and have been reading alot...some not so good things about the XXV...but mostly the reviews are good. This is a corner unit so doing slate or stone would require cutting and design...the conrete seems like it would be simple to do and i would like to think I could make it look nice too with some contrasting wood trim.

thoughts?

im a long way from a concrete expert. but i think you will need to rebar it our risk it cracking, and i think you can buy tints for the concrete instead of painting it. Google "building concrete counter tops"

thanks..I never thought about the rebar....It will be roughly a 40" square and about 1.5" of poured concrete. And yes i will check out the countertop search idea...thanks!!

Ok..a little reasearch shows me that the cement may in fact be MORE work than the slate or stone...and ALOT heavier than I was expecting...maybe 300lbs when i am done. Add that to the 400lbs of the stove and 60 pounds of pellets...even though it is being placed in the corner of the house I am wondering about the weight. I doubt it is a concern...but none the less i am thinking that slate will be the easiesr of the two and lighter. Question i have is, with say 1" thick slate on top of 3/4" in plywood so I need to add a cement board to this to prevent any problems. Or is the slate alone enough of a heat block?

the cement board gives it a nice bonding surface for the mortor, i dont know what the r value requirments for the stove, i doubt its much. Reguardless, use wonderboard or something of that nature to adhere the tile to. If you have a local stone quarry, just go pick up a slab of somehting. We have lots of quarries in this area..

I decided not to re-invent the wheel...you said "quarry' and it clicked...I have place abotu 30 miles from here that sells quarry tile...so i went down and grabbed some 1/2" blue stone and they hadd the 1/4" cement board and all the stuff i will need. came to about 40% of what the stove place was selling pads for and is going to be much nicer....now I just need to get to it. thanks for listening and helping!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.