First post!!! Insert door glass question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruning in MI

Jan 3, 2009
S.E.MI.
Hi all, been lurking here for awhile... finally time for a post!
I have a "Grizzly" insert that were looking to do a little makeover on. My wife never liked the etched bears pictured on the front door glass. I was wondering if I might be able to use a fine wet sand paper to take the etching off or just go ahead and order some new glass. If I go new...any recommendations on where to buy it? Also would like to "polish" his stove. Seems easer than paint. Any brand better than the others?
Thanks for any info and great site!!!!

welcome, not sure about taking the etching off the glass, don't think that would work but I'll defer to the experts on that one. You can get replacement glass. There is a company in OH. called Fireglass that sells & cuts to size. It is actually a clear ceramic, neoceram / pyroceram, much like a pyrex baking dish. Typically not offered by any of our local glass companies, but may be different there. Good Luck

I would take the door off and bring it to a glass shop. They will have the correct ceramic glass and cut it to size.

As for polishing it, is it steel or cast iron? Either way, I don't see how polishing it would be less work than spraying some black paint out of a can.

Matt

Take the door off and take the glass out if your handy, you will want to order new glass gasket if you take the glass out just for the heck of it. Check to see if one of your local stores carries Rutland products, if they do you can get the glass gasket and black stove polish from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.