First Post: Is this realistic?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinBlack

Feb 12, 2008
PA
I have two homes here in western PA that I am seriously considering converting from oil heat to primarily wood heat. Originally, I had considered installing an indoor wood fired boiler in this house and a fireplace insert to supplement the forced air heat and wood stove that are currently in the other house. But the more I look in to it, I'm not sure it is the best option. My parents, who are living next door, are getting up in years and I'm not sure that I can rely on them being willing/able to feed those units over the long term.

A local wood heat supply store here suggested attempting to heat both homes with an outdoor wood boiler that would be somewhat centrally located between both structures (the houses are approximately 550 ft apart). I truthfully haven't done much research on outdoor wood boilers so everything the dealer was explaining was very new to me.

How realistic would it be to heat 2 homes using one outdoor wood boiler? Keep in mind that this house is hot water heat and the other is forced air.

Besides the unit, heat exchangers, piping etc., what else would I need to complete the system?

The dealer I talked to sells Central Boiler products. If I would decide to go this route, what other manufactures do you recommend I research?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Justin

Yes, it can & is being done, but get the right equipment. Keep reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.