First question of many.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suprz

Sep 24, 2012
Rhode island
Just wondering about inside stove pipe before it goes out through the wall. Should i have a certain amount of vertical height before it takes the 90degree turn out the wall? The existing pipe that came with the stove is just about a 6 inch rise before the 90 degree turn. Also...what kind of pipe? Single, or double?

Thanks

You will typically get better draft with more vertical before the horizontal, although how much that matters to you is largely a function of what else is going on in your system (climate, amount of vertical chimney, chimney insulation and diameter, etc.).

Single vs. double wall depends on your required clearances. Generally 18" from a vertical stovepipe for single wall, and 12" or 9" for double wall. Don't take my word for it, though. It's all clearly detailed in your stove manual!

My dealer put my is single wall pipe 18 inches away from the wall i think that's what code states.

The more vertical you can achieve before the 90 the better, but be mindful of clearances for the pipe from combustibles. I prefer double-wall for the connector because it keeps the flue gases hotter. This is beneficial for draft if the outside pipe is under 20ft tall and it will help reduce creosote accumulation in the cooler outdoor chimney.

Reactions: Heatsource
Depends upon if the stove vents from the top or the rear. If it vents from the rear, then go out straight. If it vents from the top, then go up before going out. Don't forget the rise rather than level for the horizontal section. We went 1/2" or more rise per foot of horizontal (straight out the back of the stove and through the wall) and have no problems.

Reactions: hilbiliarkiboi
I read in another thread that the user got much better results with backtoback 45° fittings. Do not recall if their stove was top or rear exit, but I believe it stated straight up min 24" then out.

If the rise is short and the chimney is too, then softening the 90º turn with a 45º offset can help. That's what we did for this installation with only a 12 ft chimney. It worked out pretty well.

morso 2110 yurt.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Very interesting room, begreen! Got any wider shots?

Nice setup begreen.

Cool. Had never heard of a yurt. One can learn things here.

Status
Not open for further replies.