First real problem with the window stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ByCo

Jan 29, 2011
Nebraska
Kind of had one of those days yesterday, the coffee maker blew up in the morning and the auger in the stove quit just after dark last night. The coffee maker is on the other side of the house so I don't think the two issues are related.lol

No error messages until the fire went completely out and then it told me it lost fire, duh, I already knew that. I check the function of the door switches by turning the unit on and opening and closing the doors, the door warning light comes on and goes back out when the doors are closed, so that seems to be working right. The draft blower sounds normal and there is no draft warning light unless I open the fire box door and it goes back out when I close the door so the vacuum switch seems to be working correctly.

I really wish I hadn't done such a good job of mounting this in my wall, it's going to take all afternoon to get it out the wall with out destroying anything so I can get the back off of it and get at the auger motor to do more testing. Once I get it out so I can get at everything I'll probably be back wanting advice on how to go about testing and diagnosing the problem.

I forgot to mention that I have vacuumed the hopper out and the auger does not seemed to be jammed.

i'm probably among the least qualified here to give advice.
but does your stove have a reset switch that reverses the auger and then runs it forward?
could there be a jam the vacuum can't reach and /or have the power to extract?

I'd try a jumper between the 2 posts it plugs onto. If that doesn't work, I'd just unhook it and try it that way. Actually, thinking about it, I'd try just unplugging it first, then a jumper if that didn't work. It all depends whether it's open or closed to run.

Yes, at room temp (70*) on the 2000 ohm scale the reading is 1082, holding it between my fingers for a few minute it rises to 1130 and holding about an inch above the flame from a zippo for about 30 seconds it rises to 1820. The stove uses two of these, one for controlling the room blower and the other in the exhaust path, both of them yield pretty much identical results so I would assume that they are working properly. I would guess that leave just a faulty control board? Any other thoughts?

hossthehermit said:
I'd try a jumper between the 2 posts it plugs onto. If that doesn't work, I'd just unhook it and try it that way. Actually, thinking about it, I'd try just unplugging it first, then a jumper if that didn't work. It all depends whether it's open or closed to run.

Well, don't sound like it would do me much good to try that, then, does it? But, hey, I learnt me sumthin' new, so it's been a good day.

I saw these online, and have to say hanging something in your window thats on fire just doesn't look right. I'm sure they are UL approved, and safe, but I wouldnt go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.